Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-15 16:18:17

jtaylor196

Credibility Vs. Credulity

In today’s NY Times Book Review, (Oct 15, 2006) the essay on the last page by Henry Alford, itself a charming spoof on candid literary obituaries, makes the classic error of confusing credibilty with credulity.

I quote: “To encounter…a transformation…that any film actor in ‘Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde’ would have thought strained CREDIBILITY.”(para 3, lines 8-10) The correct usage here is “strained credulity”.
Judith Taylor
San Francisco CA 94115

#2 2006-10-15 16:37:37

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Credibility Vs. Credulity

Interesting entry.

In a tangential way, it reminds me of the old joke of telling someone that the word “gullible” is not in the dictionary—then waiting around until he/she checks. I think that joke would have been a greater hit if the chosen word were “credulity.” I would even venture to guess that many people do not think it is a word. (Perhaps a few will have to check to find out for sure!)

Last edited by jorkel (2006-10-15 16:39:02)

Board footer