Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-05-28 05:55:23

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"purpose" << >> "propose"

This one has been mentioned on this site briefly in passing.

When he Purpose to Her
YouTube caption

I would be surprised of he purpose to her.
discussion

I purpose that all mining leases in all the Asian Pacific be subject to total transparent ices, and that no minerals produced from mines that are illegal and practice mining methods that are detrimental to the health of the planet be permitted for sale or further processing…
comment thread

A men who falls in love with the women. He purpose to her but she refuse him.
quiz study site

I purpose that we need to scrutinize and reform what for-profit executives are legally entitled to earn much like we do for non-profits.
article

He purpose to her with beautiful ring after pretty girl accepted his purposal she is really excited and huge him tightly with long kissing.
video caption
[This one has the added bonus of the word “purposal”.]

i would ask him how did he purpose to her ? and where did they spend the honey moon together ?
discussion
Nearly all of these are from people for whom English is clearly not their first language. I’m guessing that they probably pronounce the words “propose” and “purpose” more similarly than they are supposed to be pronounced, due to basing the pronunciation of one on the template of whichever one they learn first. FWIW, there is an eggcornish meaning connection: to propose something implies a purpose.

And now for the reverse version:

To what propose did Obama spend millions to seal all of his records?
Q&A site

Scientists still study which gestures developed and to what propose.
body language article

but to what propose you want to do that?
tech talk

One problem, if they remove the minni map, then to what propose would spotting serve.
gamer discussion

Yes, but to what propose. They have made them so difficult to find that almost no one want to use one.
more gamer talk

#2 2017-05-30 01:10:37

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: "purpose" << >> "propose"

Some of them are doubtless spell-check problems, but definitely not all.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#3 2017-06-03 15:15:58

Eoin

Dixon Wragg wrote:

I purpose that all mining leases in all the Asian Pacific be subject to total transparent ices, and that no minerals produced from mines that are illegal and practice mining methods that are detrimental to the health of the planet be permitted for sale or further processing…
comment thread

It could be a mistake, but purpose is also a verb.
I purpose that all mining leases in all the Asian Pacific be subject to total transparent ices…
I intend that all mining leases in all the Asian Pacific be subject to total transparent ices…

And grant that this holy feeding on Thy Body and Blood, which I, unworthy, purpose to take, may be for the remission of my sins, and the perfect cleansing of all my faults…
                                                                                                                      ─from Ad mensam dulcissimi convivii, ascribed to St. Ambrose of Milan.

Last edited by Eoin (2017-06-03 15:17:02)

#4 2017-06-03 15:28:29

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Eoin wrote:

It could be a mistake, but purpose is also a verb.

True, but most of my examples were references to a proposal of marriage, thus clearly “purpose” for “propose”, and I chose to include the other two because, in context, they seem much more likely to be proposals to a group than personal intentions.

Board footer