Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-06-20 07:45:03

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"garnish" for "garner"

There are lots of these online.

Lovely orange and brown frame guaranteed to garnish attention.
product description

What do I send, what do I say, how do I send it, and what will make my submission garnish attention in an email bin?
article on writing

By nature, narcissists are constantly seeking a platform from which to garnish attention.
essay

I was looking for the perfect pair of sunglasses to match the crazy socks I love to wear to work that are able to fly under the radar, but still garnish attention from those who looked close enough.
sunglasses tale

A garnish is something added to a dish to garner appreciative attention, and to garnish (or garnishee) one’s wages is to grab some of them to pay a debt, much as garnering something is to grab it or take it. An eggcorn, I say. And I think it’s new to this website.

#2 2017-06-20 11:20:17

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "garnish" for "garner"

A malaprop, I say. Here’s a bunch more random transmogrifications, from the deep archives.

She did have more executive experience than President Obama did before he took the office of the presidency. So the jerry is still out on whether executive experience is a necessity to the job… Most of the bad press Palin has gotten comes from a highly sexist attitude toward politics; and she is not the first woman politician to be snowballed in this manner… On her own merits Palin is too conservative minded to garnish my support; While the treatment she received was sexist and wrong, the damage has already bend done and she is not electable.
Star Trekkers comment on Sarah Palin’s qualifications

amigo what did you want mou to do after he lost a man?, play offensive with probably the best attack in todays futebol?
common now
Soccer fan

common everybody!
http://www.myspace.com/dopetastic

go to it everyone, common you can do it. message me, add me. do something.
Seeking myspace popularity

Common everybody (Let’s move it an’ a-groove it)
Eddie Cochrane mp3

Patients and their families must form a strong therapeutic alliance with the treatment staff if thery are to survive the vicinitudes of a lengthy and difficult period of therapy.
Psychology Handbook

I do not know why this atrocity occurred. Perhaps still some grudge against R’Tani, who first left their ambassadors to the vicinitudes of the enemy a decade ago. Perhaps they just wanted to make a point.
Role play

I was just being funny about the bucky thread that got locked,trying to create a divirgin!
Horse news

Murdoch creates a divirgin to escape by releasing some of the animals from their cages.
A-Team plot retelling

Constitutional advocates worry that the Iowa bill sets a dangerous president for the future of free speech in our food system, as well as the integrity and safety of agricultural operations.
Pol blog

there’s Ozzy wondering around the whole house in his sweatpants, in the middle of it all like a daughtering old man who lost his marbles
Reality TV has jumped the shark

Its a waste of time and a needless scurryless witch-hunt
Irish politics

His campaign will surely go down as the most disengenious, the most negative, and the most scurryless in this country’s history.
Politics

Ah, Andrew the nail has been put on the head once again. Clear and coherent.
Newspaper comment

BTW, also from the deep: Garner is a metathesis from granary! Garnish is from same root as warn, and used to mean something like “gird”, before it became “embellish food”. The warn connection is still present in the form of “garnished wages,” which are anything but a flourish added to your paycheck.

Last edited by burred (2017-06-20 11:35:52)

#3 2017-06-20 14:21:02

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

burred wrote:

A malaprop, I say.

You don’t find my suggestions of eggcornish meaning connections plausible?

#4 2017-06-20 16:27:14

burred
Eggcornista

Yes, now that I think about it, yours is a plausible explanation. I’m guilty of not reading closely. But it is one of Brians’ errors.

Board footer