Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-16 14:35:00

jorkel
Eggcornista

PERKolate? (percolate)

Google counts on Oct. 16, 2006
1,020,000 percolate
732 perkolate—questionable eggcorn.

To “percolate” means to cause a liquid to pass through a permeable surface (think: coffee filter) containing a substrate (think: coffee grounds) which can release a soluble component (think: coffee flavor) to the liquid. Hence, the preparation of coffee in a coffee maker is a suitable prototype for conveying the notion.

“Perk (up)” means to gain in vigor or cheerfulness—often the feeling people get after drinking coffee. The close association of percolation with coffee may therefore provide inspiration for the eggcorn “perkolate.”

What detracts from this eggcorn possibility is that “perk” is a legitimate shortened version of “percolate.” To me, it would seem more logical to use “perc” in reference to the coffee maker and “perk” in reference to the coffee drinker. But apparently, “perk” is the term used for both. So, this dual use for “perk” effectively casts doubt on whether “perkolate” could qualify as an eggcorn.

Examples

Attention SpanGod has allowed this stuff to perkolate in my mind since I first drove into the graveyard yesterday. And I think I am even more grateful for the gift of …
rev-ed.blogspot.com/ – 69k – Cached – Similar pages

Diaryland members areaMy place to scratch and ponder and mull and wretch and simmer and perkolate and whine and hack and grumble and celebrate and… and …
members.diaryland.com/edit/profile.phtml?user=planitclare – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer