Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-06-11 13:42:49

klakritz
Eggcornista

'shake (one's) thirst' for 'slake (one's) thirst'

While we’re celebrating Pat’s discovery of shakeable feelings, notice that thirst can also be shaken. ‘Slake’ has been a popular target for eggcorning; the database contains the dubious ‘slack one’ thirst.’ Later, Peter F. contributed the much better ‘slay one’s thirst.’ ‘Shake’ is being used here, I think, with its secondary meaning of ‘get rid of.’Examples:

Silky’s has a full bar stocked with whatever you need to shake your thirst.
www.silkyosullivans.com/

On the hottest day of summer a glass of cool water or switzel would shake his thirst and the haying season or other work would continue unabated.
www.halfbakedfish.com/?p=172

Like the archetypal fixtures he embodies, Leonard is unable to shake his thirst for vengeance, which gives his life a sense of purpose …
www.mediacircus.net/memento.html

But it can shake your thirst for knowledge. Welcome to virtual Breckenridge Brewery, creators of Colorado’s most distinctive handcrafted beers. ...
www.breckbrew.com/

... stagecoach rides, live shows, a zoo and the opportunity to shake your thirst in the saloon.
www.teronaholidayrentals.com/content/view/137/44/

Kain is out for vengeance, and nothing but blood will shake his thirst!
www.gamefaqs.com/boards/196786-blood-om … ./51308455

#2 2010-06-15 09:52:32

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'shake (one's) thirst' for 'slake (one's) thirst'

A natural! Very nice. Here’s a suggestion from the Balkans—not far from Transylvania—on how to slay your thirst.

Guest home The beautiful Balkan village one can always enjoy a lovely harmony of colors and sounds lavished generously by nature, stake one’s thirst with limpid mountain water spouting from the profound bosom of the Balkan,

#3 2017-07-06 01:19:34

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Your thirst can also be grabbed by the throat, and presumably wrestled away:

I tried to swallow saliva to clench my thirst, but it didn’t help.

This water does not clench my thirst for blood.

I choose the powder form as you can get a variety of different flavours which taste good and clench my thirst when training.

Since I had just got done from a relaxing run around Lake Nokomis, I wanted to have something other than coffee to clench my thirst.

It was hard to choose what to sample next, but the multiple flavours of fruit juices were just waiting to clench my thirst. I went for a fresh mango

A great many more of these are in the same vein but another large number of google hits are mishearings of “I’ll quench my thirst” from Apres Vous by Deep Purple, which I know will interest the many Eggcornists who are also into Heavy Metal.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#4 2017-07-06 14:58:19

David Bird
Eggcornista

Or crushed with crepitation.

why is life so complex???......seems to me like i would never b able to crunch my thirst for perfection…..........
tweet

As a fan of Olicity and Felicity fan its one of my favorite places to visit. The amount of tears is enough to crunch my thirst for years.
reddit

Yey, classic Fosters to crunch my thirst. Shame as I found too much air conditioning, I soon started feel COLD with this cold beer.
food critic

A glass of icy cold Korean Honey Citron drink with a slice of lemon to crunch my thirst in this hot! hot! afternoon.
ad disguised as blog

Eating an orange to crunch my thirst at the Pulpit Rock in Norway!
travel pix

#5 2017-07-10 12:43:37

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Some thirsts need that bit of extra support.

Some people see life as a cup half empty, I see the cup as a way to crutch my thirst for life.

And this notion of seeking to satisfy seems pertinent.

Now that it is warmer, I often want a nice cold beverage to quest my thirst.

Finally i was able to quest my thirst for knee length boot.

Oh and not to mention, those ice pop molds (yes, these came in the box as well) are the perfect way to quest my thirst after an intense workout.

Board footer