Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-07-12 08:22:09

yanogator
Eggcornista

Viracious for Voracious

I saw this in a Facebook discussion on reading:

“I have a viracious reading habit. If I am not careful it is a book a day, sometimes 1 1/2. Reading is WONDERFUL!”

A google search turned up this:

“Anonymous asked: viracious means you want to eat. google before you make a post. or just delete this blog all together because it’s pointless and why create more hate in the world?”
http://lolatyoukristen-blog.tumblr.com/ … before-you

I see it as an eggcorn shaped by the popularity of “viral” on the internet. A viracious appetite is one that has gone viral in its intensity. Or maybe they’re just both misspellings.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#2 2017-07-13 14:14:28

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: Viracious for Voracious

Works for me but, then again, I’m easy pleased. Here’s a related area of misconfusion, involving the vocal and vocational perhaps?

She was a vocarious reader, a crossword puzzle and word search fanatic, and avid quilter and knitter.

There are some aspects they haven’t focused on (like a goat’s vocarious appetite, their incredible sure-footedness, and their ability to consume everything and anything) but these are forgivable.

I am also a vocarious reader, band member, and occasionally end up listening to Joni Mitchell’s oeuvre .

#3 2017-07-15 09:14:35

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: Viracious for Voracious

Peter, I think some of them might never have heard the word, and were just mis-remembering what they had seen in print.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

Board footer