Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-07-25 17:18:12

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'incline' for 'inkling'

Many of us might drop the ‘g’ of that odd word inklin’, leaving something not too dissimilar to the way some folk pronounce incline, I’m assuming. In any event, an ‘inclination’, in the sense of a tendency, isn’t too unlike a vague suspicion that inkles.

Now, I am not ANY sort of indie makeup creator, since I can’t even make eyeshadow, as I haven’t the faintest incline how to even start.

We had not the slightest incline that you would leave us so soon. Oh no we didn’t.

Obviously, you wouldn’t go out of your way to ‘intentionally’ ask someone to be a reference for you, if you had the slightest incline that they’d say something bad about you or your work.

I met Patrick and I immediately had an incline that I had met him before.

Have an incline that somethings not right? Try to look out for these tell-tale signs that your unit may be playing up: Leaks; Smells; Noises; Air …

#2 2017-07-25 19:59:54

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'incline' for 'inkling'

Nice. Fine, elegant eggcorn that changes the imagery while remaining true to the meaning. It’s out there with the -ing intact, as well.

I have a slight inclining that Matthew McConaughey might make a good Joker.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ … 496/page-2

I have a slight inclining that Rose is Pregnant though and i’m super glad that Joe is fighting for her
http://denisegroverswank.com/2014/01/09 … lease-day/

GET THIS KID OUT OF ME NOW!!!!
And then it’s all over and you don’t remember any of it, all you can think of is how wonderful and beautiful your little girl is. And you have the faint inclining that you should never ever let your husband near you again.
https://betsy-ann.blogspot.ca/2008/04/t … thing.html

Regrettably, the following simbling was a nonce; it might even have been intentional. I had big hopes for it.

Frustrated, one last thing, if you have kids, and you have the slightest tingling that parental alienation is in your future, you might want to pick up the book, “Divorce Poison”.
http://shrink4men.com/2011/04/25/why-hi … e-process/

#3 2017-07-26 10:44:45

David Bird
Eggcornista

What was that? The fine faint tintinnabulation of an iota.

One of the worst places in this country to raise a family. Your considered a bigot and racist if you have any tinkling of values and morals in this modern day Gomorrah
the liberal hell that is California

One cannot be the President of 100 million people and not have a tinkling of hubris. If you did not have it before, the Office will certainly imbibe it in you.
pol blog

So, my dear readers, I believe you already have a tinkling of an idea about the general anatomy of human skulls.
forensics blog

if i could just have a tinkling of your time, i’d like to talk about the new energy drink called thunder muscle
skater forum

#4 2017-07-26 12:20:48

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Regrettably, the following simbling was a nonce; it might even have been intentional. I had big hopes for it.

And there I was, tinkering excitedly with that near simbling which I thought you had unaccountably neglected, and wondering what bearing that irritable J M Barrie sprite might be exerting, and whether I should let you know that nonce for most Brits has another meaning entirely, when you returned, not with a bang, but a tinkle. Can we hear fairy dust?

#5 2017-07-26 21:50:16

yanogator
Eggcornista

I think “tinkling” might have been influenced by a tinge. This whole post is fun!

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#6 2017-07-28 04:54:29

David Bird
Eggcornista

I think I’d better have a closer look at nonce. Luckily, Wikipedia is golden on the subject:

Nonce (slang)
In the United Kingdom, nonce is a slang word for a pariah within a community of prisoners, typically a sex offender, child sexual abuser or one who has turned state’s evidence.
Nonce first came into widespread use in UK prisons, where it is primarily used by prisoners to refer to convicted sex offenders, especially abusers of children. “Nonces” are traditionally targets of physical abuse from their fellow prison inmates, and so usually go on Rule 45 (formerly Rule 43), the rule that enables the segregation of vulnerable prisoners from the other prisoners for their own safety. The Rule 45 section of British prisons in which sex offenders are segregated (also known as going on ‘The Numbers’ or, in rhyming slang, ‘The Cucumbers’) is often referred to as the “nonce wing”. The Word Nonce in a sentence could look like, “That Man is an absolute Nonce.”
Etymology
The Oxford English Dictionary, while describing the word’s etymology as “Origin unknown”, states that it is “perhaps related to” nance and cites a quotation which claims the word was derived from nancy-boy (a derogatory term referring to effeminate or homosexual males). It also suggests that it may derive from the nonse, Lincolnshire dialect for “good-for-nothing fellow”.

Going on the cucumbers! That’s a bit of serendipitous rhyming slang. There is no way to keep UK slang straight, what with the rhyming. Nonce, nance, ponce, pants.

I’m not completely sure which simbling you were tinkering with, Peter. This one maybe:

I also have a tinkering that their cocktails might be worthy of round two.
http://www.tessward.net/london-eating-t … southwark/

It was a nnn-... A nnnnn-... It was a singleton.

#7 2017-08-02 19:26:20

kem
Eggcornista

Of these, I think I like “inclining << inkling” best. Top shelf eggcorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer