Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-16 20:58:33

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

Working above my pay grade. . .

As a computer ignoramus, I began posting as “fishbait1” from my work computer. Then, when I changed ISP’s, I registered against as “fishbait2.” My point? I’m an eggcornista, with 58 posts under these 3 names!

As an employment lawyer, I not only demand immediate promotion. I want back pay. . . Where’s the HR dep’t?

David F

#2 2006-10-16 21:47:38

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Working above my pay grade. . .

Hi David. This is the Human Resources Dept—and you’ve thrown everyone in the office into a tizzy. Last thing we need is yet another lawsuit against the Eggcorns Forum from a disgruntled contributor. But the Eggcornista label is awarded automatically upon reaching 50 posts, and no one back here can figure out where we put the override switch.

I noticed that the CEO—Chris Waigl—posted today, so maybe she’ll work some computer magic. And I’ll also see if I can be cleverer. In the meantime, you’re an Eggcornista in all our hearts.

Pat

#3 2006-10-16 22:17:53

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

Oh-ho, it’s the computer’s fault! I should have seen that one coming. . .

Well, I’ll soldier on. Can I change my screen name to “Antigonus of Sokho”?

Antigonus of Sokho received the tradition from Simon the Just.
He used to say,
Be not like servants who serve their master for the sake of a reward
but rather like those who serve their master without hope of a reward;
and let the fear of heaven be upon you.

Pirkei Avot, I, 3.

#4 2006-10-17 07:14:07

jorkel
Eggcornista

You guys crack me up! I want my rank elevated to a 5-star Eggcornista; One star for every fifty posts! (And never mind that my posts are just comments on other people’s posts!)

Last edited by jorkel (2006-10-17 07:19:10)

#5 2006-10-18 11:44:28

patschwieterman
Administrator

David—well, I think I do know how to change the name of one of the Fishbaits to “Antigonus of Sokho”—or any other Mishnaic figure you’re interested in.

Seriously, though, it occurred to me that I could experiment with trying to change all the FIshbaits to “Fishbait.” The program might or might not allow that. Tell me if you want me to try it. I don’t think I can hurt anything attempting it.

Jorkel—well, you should have followed David’s example. If you had different servers to work with, you could be Jorkel1, Jorkel2, etc. and abandon each persona just as it got to the magic number—getting full Eggcornista credit along the way.

Pat

#6 2006-10-18 16:41:25

fishbait1
Eggcornista
Website

Pat—Thanks for the kind offer. Certainly if I were going to become any Mishnaic figure I would choose “Ben Bag-Bag.” “Turn it and turn it, for everything is in it (in the Forum?)” No one who accepts contingent fees can claim the mantle of Antigonus of Sokho.

So—you needn’t do anything. I’ve already put “eggcornista” on my resume. Just back me up if anyone calls you for a reference.

David

#7 2006-10-18 22:25:46

patschwieterman
Administrator

David—If you ever do decide to go with Ben Bag Bag, we’ll need a Ben Heh Heh to complete the set.

As for the Forum, I hope I’ll be able to “grow old and worn in it [...] for there is nothing better.”

Pat

#8 2007-11-28 10:02:37

Jonathan Gladstone

How many Talmud scholars post to this site anyway? Oy!

#9 2007-11-28 14:49:38

patschwieterman
Administrator

Just one, I think—the rest of us are merely good at using Wikipedia.

Board footer