Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-09-14 19:21:05

burred
Eggcornista

coughing up flame; green slimy flume; phloem in my lungs

I cough up a clear flame
Medical questions

Ive been coughing sometimes with flame for 4 days
Yahoo questions

what is the best treatment nasal cold flume
R: if no fever and only flume and nasal obstruction go for DROPS
Health advice

coughing up green slimy flume
Fitness site

If it’s even possible to be more disturbed, it is done by the jar of flume that shows what patients of COPD cough up from just smoking.
Antismoking article

How do i get phloem out of my lungs? ive been coughing for like 5 days or something, and theres phloem on the canal that leads to my lungs. every once a while, i can get a little phloem out, but im still coughing and theres crap in me.
Yahoo questions

Every little annoying thing in my life came together and formed a giant cesspool of fermenting phlegm. It oozed up from beneath my feet untill it covered me from head to toe. Did it get me down? No,because I knew that was only the beginning. By sundown I was swimming in spewtom.
http://putz.xanga.com/524977/item/

#2 2012-09-14 23:42:54

kem
Eggcornista

Re: coughing up flame; green slimy flume; phloem in my lungs

“Flume” for “phlegm” has eggcorn qualities, but the one that really catches my attention is “spewtum” for “sputum.” Here are other examples of the switch. An excellent find. Beadwof is proud of you.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-09-15 11:33:46

burred
Eggcornista

Flame and phloem are probably cupertinos, though startling ones – maybe from flem and phlem. Flume may be one as well, but the connection to fluid transport seems feasible, as you say. I hadn’t looked for spewtum; it’s everywhere. Though spew is Protogermanic and sputum Latin, Webster’s indicates that they “correspond”. I’m not sure what that means within the discipline of etymology, but I think it means that they have common roots in Stone Age throats.

Edit: Hold on, another source for flume might be the Dutch word for phlegm, fluim. The etymology of that one might be interesting.

Edit 2: Not really, there’s no connection to fluid there. But it is piquant to me that phlegm is cognate to flame and inflammation.

Last edited by burred (2012-09-16 10:56:56)

#4 2017-08-28 00:12:56

Jezior@52
Website

It is hard. Due to over consumption of drugs and alcohol my uncle had also got such problems. He was not able to quit these addictions so I recommended him to visit the virginia opiate addiction treatment center which actually helped him. Now he is quite healthy.

Last edited by Jezior@52 (2017-08-28 00:14:00)

Board footer