Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-22 11:04:35

jorkel
Eggcornista

"handle with KIT gloves" (kid)

Google counts on Aug 22, 2006
1270 “with kit gloves”
230,000 “with kid gloves”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

The standard phrase is “treat with kid gloves.” Gloves made of the skin of a young goat were considered softer than those made of leather. So, to treat with kid gloves means to handle delicately.

The eggcorn which derives from the standard phrase is “treat with kit gloves.” We can all envision a pair of gloves included with a kit. So, in using those “kit gloves” (rather than no gloves at all), one is taking due care.

kid glove. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English …... soft leather, especially kidskin. IDIOM:, with kid gloves Tactfully and cautiously: had to handle the temperamental artist with kid gloves. ...
www.bartelby.com/61/59/K0055900.html – 19k – Cached – Similar pages

Examples:
Young set to make his pro debut tonight with the Titans… every other team treats their proclaimed annual golden child with kit gloves. It’ll be interesting to watch Young learn that in professional football, ...
www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports … html?imw=Y – 65k – Cached – Similar pages

Singer’s Discordant Notes: The Borg Attacks Wall Street! Humans on …You know, the little guy gets hammered and the big guy gets treated with kit gloves, the same old double standard that always seems to apply.
www.axcessnews.com/commentary_1119.shtml – 57k – Cached – Similar pages

RC User Reviews: Sony RM-AV3000 Remote Control (1)It was treated with kit gloves and still broke. I called Sony and they admitted there have been many design problems with this remote but it only had a 60- ...
www.remotecentral.com/ureview/54.htm – 40k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2017-09-04 08:51:22

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "handle with KIT gloves" (kid)

You got to be kitting me, how can that be.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2385474 … 2732761844

Same basic eggcorn, but in this sort of usage it may not be an eggcorn, as I don’t see any plausible meaning connection.

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2017-09-04 08:56:31)

#3 2017-09-04 11:56:59

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: "handle with KIT gloves" (kid)

Yes, Dixon, I think it’s just a lack of knowledge of the word, since in most US dialects, “kitting” and “kidding” are pronounced nearly the same if no emphasis is being given.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

Board footer