Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-09-27 13:08:54

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"hard put", "hard pushed"

This one may be a bit of a stretch, but…

We’ve gathered together a handful below to give you an idea of the general consensus, but you’ll be hard pushed to find a single negative Tweet out there.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/b … ce-a154085

Never having heard/seen “hard pushed” before (instead only having heard “hard put” and occasionally “hard pressed”), I initially assumed it was a straightforward eggcorn. But a little research showed that all three are considered correct, with “hard pushed” perhaps being more British than American. But I’m still left with the suspicion that “hard pushed”, which apparently didn’t appear with this meaning until the mid-18th Century, may have had its origin as an eggcorn of the older “hard put”, which goes back at least to 1601 and probably to the late 16th Century. I haven’t yet found any verification of that, though. FWIW, here is a relevant Google Ngram.

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2017-10-15 07:09:43)

#2 2017-09-27 16:42:10

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "hard put", "hard pushed"

with “hard pushed” perhaps being more British than American.

Well that’d be right for me at least, with ‘hard pressed’ being quite acceptable but ‘hard put’ a very distant and awkward third place. It’s amazing that we can communicate at all. We’d have real trouble all sat in a room letting rip with our native dialects. Interesting, though.

#3 2017-09-27 18:00:15

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I’m most used to hard put to it to (Verb). I think it is mostly reading vocabulary, however; I don’t know whom I have heard it from, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I had used it and provoked more puzzlement than enlightenment.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2017-09-30 18:52:05

kem
Eggcornista

The Google ngram database suggests that “hard put to” is slightly more common in British English than “hard pressed to.” Vice-versa for American English.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2017-10-01 16:36:50

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Hmm, clearly I’m moving in the wrong circles, but can be relied upon to represent aspects of non-standard BrEnglish, perhaps.

Board footer