Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-10-03 21:29:33

tyepower

"cow maneuver" for "cow manure"

My five year old son said this the other day.

#2 2017-10-04 12:27:04

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "cow maneuver" for "cow manure"

Pooping could vaguely be considered a sort of maneuver, I suppose, and certainly one must maneuver carefully when navigating a poop-pocked field. But those connections seem like such a stretch that maneuver << manure is probably not an eggcorn. Cute substitution, though. Then again, almost anything proceeding from the mouth of a five-year-old is likely to be cute—unless it’s a recent meal going up the down staircase.

Welcome to the Eggcorn Forum, tyepower!

#3 2017-10-04 21:40:09

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Somehow reminds me of the “horse doovers” that someone was trying to filch from a high-falutin’ table in some movie or other I saw years ago. (Agreed, neither horse doovers nor cow maneuvers are eggcorns.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2017-10-05 17:37:59

burred
Eggcornista

Once I arrived, views of the luscious green bushes and the foul smell of cow maneuver encompassed all my senses as I hiked up the mountain.
http://scholarships.travel/writing17/th … ncing-wink

So beings she gave me two completely different solutions that can’t really exist together, I’m thinking that the whole this is a bunch of horse maneuver.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ve … t.2034532/

Lotsa support for this one out there, including several other mouths-of-babes accounts. Passes the smell test.

Do we have “beings” for “being as” yet?

#5 2017-10-05 18:58:33

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

burred wrote:

Do we have “beings” for “being as” yet?

I have heard “being’s” for “being as” at least a few times over the years. Note that I have apostrophized the term. This is because I’m pretty sure that “being’s” is not meant in the sense of “human beings”, but rather as a contraction of “being as” (in which case it’s not an eggcorn).

#6 2017-10-06 21:38:13

tyepower

Thanks for the feedback folks. In our part of the world it is all dairy cows. Dairies remove the horns. So when my son spoke the potentially brilliant eggcorn, I thought, “These cows are not intimidating. How can they defend themselves? Their territory? How can they keep people away? Without great speed or sharp horns, they at least have one very effective maneuver…”

Board footer