Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-15 06:30:43

tabby

sourcastic

This one is from the mother of an ex-work colleague. Is it an eggcorn? “Sourcasm is the lowest form of wit” seems to me to be both a reinterpretation of the original meaning AND a comment on the envious state of mind of the user.

#2 2006-10-15 07:31:20

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: sourcastic

Tabby – I’m pretty new to this but I get the impression that the eggcorn test is becoming more rigorous as time goes on – there are eggcorns in the database that seem pretty dubious to me, and rejects in the index whose rejection I don’t understand.
One difficulty is pronunciation – I know people who pronounce the word “sour” as if it rhymed with “car” or “tar” and who might therefore assume “sarcastic” was spelled in this way. This obviously can’t apply to your friend’s mother, and she seems to share her interpretation with many others; I tapped ‘sourcastic’ into Google and got 739 hits…

I’m super sourcastic. I’m also super obnoxious on pourpous, cause i think it’s funny as hell to be that obnoxious.. but people tend to think i’m seriously …
www.myspace.com/phychotron – 58k – Supplemental Result –

Just because someone says something we don’t agree with or may even hurt us, it does not give us the right to be snotty or sourcastic, that is what satan …
deseretbook.com/time-out/forum/time-out/185953?page=2 – 53k – Supplemental

#3 2006-10-15 07:33:37

jorkel
Eggcornista

As long as “sourcasm” is being used as an unintentional distortion of “sarcasm,” I’d say you’ve found yourself an eggcorn!

154 Google hits for “sourcasm.”
A couple examples from the web…

The Universal – ForumsZub > How about taking your sourcasm somewhere else … Wally > sourcasm ZoneTheta > actually we both said jews bitch wally Zub > sour Wally > did you …
www.theuniversal.net/forum/viewtopic.ph … 3f209c624a – 65k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Messenger bagsWow how childish,,,,I thought you were making a joke,,,I was throwing a little sourcasm out there.Sorry if I hurt your feelings. ...
www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-102084.html – Supplemental Result – Similar pages

#4 2006-10-18 15:46:47

tabby

Peter – The pronunciation issue is interesting and had not occurred to me because, being Scottish, there is no way on earth that I would be able to pronounce “sourcastic” to rhyme with “sarcastic”. I think the same would apply to my friend’s mother because she was a Scouser.

Board footer