Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-11-22 10:16:46

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'thiefdom' for 'fiefdom'

I noticed this in relation to Mugabe’s departure; while some examples may be deliberate wordplay, others do seem genuinely eggcornish. The increasing influence of London BrEnglish’s TH-fronting – ‘fink’ for ‘think’; ‘deaf’ for ‘death’ – may help explain this misinterpretation, though other Englishes are not immune.

This is truly the last feudal thiefdom in the classical sense where the subjects truly accept their status as inferior beings and manifest it in all kind …

If Iran was under the yoke of mullahs at that time in history there would be no Iran today except for broken states ruled by this or that thiefdom.

Every town and city was the thiefdom of a great or petty lord who wanted to show off his wealth, culture and learning through the works of architecture and art he …

Let us never forget that this Julius Malema was quite happy inside the ANC when they allowed him to run Limpopo as his thiefdom.

What do you think will happen if these three groups transcend their religious or ethnic issues, as important as they are, and wage a revolutionary struggle against the ruling class that does not recognize religious and ethnic markers in their thiefdom?

“Why should a health department get to be onerous and just say, ‘No, no, nowhere in my jurisdiction, in my thiefdom, shall there be a dog?

He runs the Borough as if it was his own personal thiefdom imposing his own views on us all. It was reported that he was opposed to cycle lanes in Newham …

Board footer