Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-18 14:28:38

CatherineR
Eggcornista

a tension getter / attention getter?

From a student paper:

“Overall the story was good, but it was not a tension getter for me.”

Has anyone else seen this one?

Catherine Rogers

#2 2006-10-18 19:16:04

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: a tension getter / attention getter?

I just had to check the web for this one. Although there were 46 ghits, only one seemed to apply…

Musician War guitar tabs for Joanne vs. Whisper My Name In My EarWell the weird notes at the end were just kind of a tension getter more of just i felt it sounded cool with it . And it did if it wasn ’ t for my mp3 …
www.musicianwar.com/viewmelee.mw?war_id=ZzxgPTYz – 95k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

I’m not quite sure what to make of it. Nor do I know what to make of this reference to a tension span:

George Steiner: “In Bluebeard’s Castle<BR>Some Notes Towards the …In their execution of and response to popular music the young have a tension-span, a suppleness of appropriation denied to the old. ...
www.anti-rev.org/textes/Steiner71a/4.html – 74k – Cached – Similar pages

I’m leaning toward calling them eggcorns, but I’m not sure whether the assembly of the three words that comprise them isn’t just incidental.

#3 2006-10-18 22:36:44

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: a tension getter / attention getter?

It’s possible that the quotation from Steiner is an example of a scanning error, but I suspect it’s an instance of intentional wordplay on Steiner’s part; such a phrase would be wholly in keeping with his jazzy prose style.

I’ve never noticed these tension-based reshapings in student papers, but I’ll certainly be looking for them now.

Board footer