Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-12-20 07:32:46

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"churned" for "turned"

We have seen “”hand-turned” for “hand-churned” here in the Eggcorn Forum before. Now here’s a different variation:

Jewish victims slaving their lives away for torture and starvation churned my stomach.
blog

Mostly it was benign, but a couple of exchanges raised my eyebrows and churned my stomach.
asking Amy

Sometimes, the 6,000 members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences spare me the stomach acid, but they often churn my stomach, particularly regarding the best picture category.
Newspaper article

If your stomach churns or something churns your stomach, you feel sick from nervousness, disgust, etc.
Just thinking about the test made my stomach churn.
The violence in the movie churned my stomach.
dictionary definition

Though the idea of something “churning” one’s stomach makes total sense—so much so that I found a couple of dictionaries using it as an example of proper usage of the word “churn”—to turn one’s stomach is the acorn and to “churn” it the eggcorn. I verified this by comparing the terms “turned my stomach” and “churned my stomach” in Google Ngram Viewer and by comparing Google hits. Not only is the meaning connection highly plausible; so also is the pronunciation similarity, especially considering how commonly “ch” and “t” are confused with one another, as has been mentioned in the Forum before.

#2 2017-12-20 07:50:44

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "churned" for "turned"

So good that (as you note) it’s suspect of being an perfectly legitimate, independent formation. Made my stomach churn is completely standard for me. But I agree that for some turn your stomach may always have been heard and therefore used as churn your stomach.

Thumbs up! (Head down, over the bucket.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer