Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-06-22 19:31:50

Braidsl

Could care less

What about people who use I could care less, when what they mean to say is I couldn’t care less? So annoying.

#2 2006-06-23 14:11:49

freeradical

Re: Could care less

I think you are anal retentive. People know what’s intended in that saying, and that’s all that matters. You no doubt majored in English and minored in Social Work, because of your predilection toward proper English and your having clients reiterate that dismissive phrase over and over.

#3 2006-06-23 21:14:55

patschwieterman
Administrator

Disagreement is fine. Insults aren’t—please refrain.

There’s a long thread on this issue on the “Slips, etc.” page. That’s a more appropriate place for this discussion.

#4 2006-10-19 19:07:51

adabsurdum7

Freeradical…......though braidsL might be a bit anal retentive in her fastiduity re common malapropisms and misused colloquials, your particular criticism exposes a certain anal expulsive nature the likes of which I’m not sure should be much admired. Did the “freeradical” name aptly applied to your person come about as a result of your issues w/fecal expulsing, or is it a name which you simply bandy in a frivolous and useless attempt to convey to us that you are special….....Good luck in your radically unimpressive freebase of literate humility, am sure we’ll be hearing some more of your lunacy soon enough….....

#5 2006-10-20 14:03:49

Andyman

Consider that “I could care less” is meant sarcastically. Most people, though, say, “I could CARE less” instead of “I COULD care less.”

Board footer