Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-04-30 04:17:50

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"endear" for endure

When the thing that will endure is something that has endeared itself to us, we have the makings of an endearing eggcorn. I’m surprised this one hasn’t popped up here before.

You will endear forever in our hearts and minds.
YouTube comment

Winnie was blessed with many grandchildren which she cherished and loved very much, and in return they have known the true love of a grandmother that will endear forever.
obit

Things that have marked momentous occasions that would tell the story of my time here and memories that endear forever.
memoir

Our love for you will endear forever.
obit

Peanuts characters will endear forever in our hearts I never grow tired of reading the Peanuts Parade books over and over again
book review

A generation ago, they were the young teens worried about blackheads and grey hairs and bored of the very same’grown-ups speeches’. And somewhere along the line, they learned that bell bottoms and polka dotted shirts do not endear forever; a kind personality does.
deep philosophy

“Not only will you live on in our hearts, but your noble sacrifice will *endear forever*…in the lasting gift of peace…”
fan fiction

As the narrator says “it serves as a reminder that the spirit of Detroit will endear forever.”
newspaper article

Love! love! love! this all we hear dese days, bt hw cn one knw dat dis is true love, dis tin we both share is true love dat will endear forever.
discussion

#2 2018-04-30 17:25:40

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: "endear" for endure

It just feels so natural!

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#3 2018-05-01 09:05:34

David Bird
Eggcornista

Here’s another stop on the line (that is to say, the trip starts again from the destination, but doesn’t arrive back at “endear”). This one, too, is so natural.

But if my heart suffered deeply, my body had by this time become endured to any hardships.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22beco … =firefox-b

I have found that those who ofen expose their bare body, to the sun become endured to heat and cold
https://books.google.ca/books?id=QapLAQ … 22&f=false

I have thus failed to become endured to what everyone else tells me is the greatest place to ski in the universe.
http://thesnowgauge.net/canada/whistler … -about-it/

The OED even uses the notion of endurance into its definition of inure: “To bring (a person, etc.) by use, habit, or continual exercise to a certain condition or state of mind, to the endurance of a certain condition, to the following of a certain kind of life, etc.; to accustom, habituate”. I don’t think this is mostly eggcorn. I think it’s a flounder: a word with roughly the same meaning with roughly the same sound that might roughly convey roughly the same meaning, but is mostly malaprop.

#4 2018-05-01 15:34:57

yanogator
Eggcornista

a floundaprop, maybe?

Last edited by yanogator (2018-05-01 15:35:12)

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#5 2018-05-01 16:12:42

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

A malapounder.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#6 2018-11-14 02:54:13

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

I recently stumbled upon an example of the -ing variation of this one:

Rounding out the top 20 is Batman, a Halloween staple just about every year. This hasn’t been the biggest year movie or TV wise for Batman, which just speaks to the endearing popularity of the character.
“news item”:https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/10/20/spider-man-harley-quinn-wonder-woman-popular-halloween-costumes-/

I think I can make a case for the eggcornicity, rather than just malapropishness, of endear << >> endure: I notice that endear replaces endure in contexts wherein the endurance of a thing, character, or idea is attributable to its endearing quality.

Board footer