Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-09-24 05:06:21

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"excel" for "exceed"

I have to say it excels my expectations!!
product review

His contribution to this book excelled my expectations
book review

“She’s excelling all expectations,” Artemis said.
fan fiction

Thousands of Men & Women have lost weight using these pills – excelling all expectations
ad

Rover continues to go from strength to strength, with Land Rover excelling all expectations.
car article

Recommend because I find it excels my expectations and reminds me of my previous joys when on holidays more South than France
wine review

Has a snap closure which excels my expectations which makes it a great quality piece.
product review

Clearly a substitution for (various forms of) “exceed”. The meaning-connection seems obvious, and the pronunciation is similar enough to justify an eggcorn verdict.

#2 2018-09-24 05:21:09

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "excel" for "exceed"

And it’s no surprise that this one is a round-tripper! For instance:

As a project architect, José develops project and construction documents, provides consultant coordination, and exceeds at construction administration with an eye for detail and design aesthetics that he carries through each project.
resume

When Instagram made it possible to upload longer video clips this spring, one of the biggest winners was Fox News, a publisher that exceeds at soundbites.
article

He exceeds at working with leadership teams to produce industry-specific business goals with an eye on growth and opportunity.
resume

If your son or daughter exceeds at sport, make sure they begin their practise in the garden.
article

#3 2018-09-29 10:19:43

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "excel" for "exceed"

I think it is an eggcorn, too. Perhaps fuelled by the increasing popularity of “Excellent!” as a response.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer