Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-11-04 09:42:10

David Bird
Eggcornista

Circus Olé!

The original Cirque du Soleil now has troupes performing in three cities in the US and one in Mexico. Not everyone is going to catch the name properly. A homophonious recasting is as the Circus Ole. Like the enouragement offered to gymnasts and matadors. The first hit is a first-person confession.

When I was in high school, we watched several different Cirque Du Soleil performances in my French class…I learned very little French in high school. Every time our teacher played the video I heard him say, “Today we are going to watch Circus Ole!” Consequently, this is what I called this incredible show for years. Made sense to me…
You can imagine my surprise, and humiliation, when I first met Fiancé and he corrected my pronouncement.
blog

Circus Ole – Zumanity (Good show, seats, NY,NY)?????
A good friend of ours said that Zumanity was their favorite show in Vegas. We are a young married couple (25) and I just wanted to get some feedback regarding the show!
Trip advice

phil baroni Retweeted Brian The Guppie
This is like the real poor mans version of Circus Ole or the male cheer leaders going at it on homecoming
The Young Bucks
Replying to @philbaroni
I love Circus Ole.
Tweet

#2 2018-11-04 16:02:07

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Circus Olé!

he corrected my pronouncement.

Classic.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2018-11-29 22:24:03

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Circus Olé!

Love it! Subverting French with Spanish.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer