Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-01-08 02:55:49

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"trappings' for "trimmings"

I think we’re all familiar with the common phrase “turkey with all the trimmings”. Recently an email from a friend included this:

It’s ham with all the trappings.

An Internet search turned up a few examples, for instance:

I have fond memories of Thanksgiving meals with the family, enjoying some turkey with all the trappings, cranberry sauce and especially pumpkin pie for dessert.
article

Most of us sit down around the table and enjoy heaping portions of turkey with all the trappings . . . stuffing and mashed potatoes . . . flaky biscuits lathered with butter and honey . . . and creamy pumpkin pie topped high with whipped creme.
blog

Traditional Turkey with all the Trappings
-stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes
FB event invitation

Afterwards, the family return to Sandringham House for their Christmas dinner including a Norfolk turkey with all the trappings, before settling down to watch the Queen’s festive speech.
royal twaddle

Merriam-Webster says:

trappings plural : outward decoration or dress : ornamental equipment

The meaning connection seems clear. Eggcorn, sez I.

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2019-01-08 02:56:35)

#2 2019-01-13 12:54:14

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "trappings' for "trimmings"

Unsure. “All the trappings” is an idiom in its own right and could be employed without thinking about “all the trimmings.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2019-01-14 03:07:56

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "trappings' for "trimmings"

kem wrote:

Unsure. “All the trappings” is an idiom in its own right and could be employed without thinking about “all the trimmings.”

Agreed. But I have always heard people say, e.g., “turkey with all the trimmings” and never, until I stumbled upon the example that sparked this thread, ”[meat] with all the trappings.” Has your experience been different in that respect? Do we have regional differences?

And, in my experience, “trappings” has been more likely written than said; I think it’s relatively rare in conversation. I’ve always seen it referring to the accoutrements that distinguish a butcher, baker, candlestick maker, etc.—and never seen “trimmings” used that way.

Also, the Google Ngram viewer shows “turkey with all the trimmings” recently topping a frequency of .000000550%, and doesn’t find a single example of “turkey with all the trappings”.

So to me, the default assumption for this one is eggcorn unless there’s reason to believe otherwise.

Board footer