Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-01-13 12:16:40

David Bird
Eggcornista

"plateable" for palatable

A book reviewer on the radio, who was a prime candidate for our thread on Words you read and understood but mispronounced, had idiosyncratic pronunciations for poignant (with a hard g) and palatable, which came close to containing the word plate. Although he may have understood the word, I wondered whether anyone hearing it pronounced that way might derive an alternative imagery, based on the plate-worthiness of the offering. No, this not plate-able, it may not even be compostable.

I have a lot of respect for your views from what I have read and seen on a few videos, but this one is not plateable… “Mahatma” wanted Hs to submit to butchery without any resistance, that is not Ahimsa that is plain & simple cowardice.
doctrinal twitter forum

They are very capable. The grain from the Empire is merely a bonus. And it wasnt from the Elves because Elven food is not plateable to Dwarves.
fan forum

A search on mispronounced also turned up pwoodford on double-rat’s ass eggcorns.

#2 2019-01-13 13:00:24

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "plateable" for palatable

That could be a new award. The DRA eggy for the substitution that was an eggcorn, but wasn’t worth the neural energy expended in thinking about it.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer