Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-01-13 13:11:07

kem
Eggcornista

fibrillaction << fibrillation

Fibrillation is just the twitching of a muscle. The medical term “fibrillation” is these days almost always heard in the context of heart fibrillation, as in “atrial fibrillation” and “ventricular fibrillation.” A few people manage to express the atrial variety as “atrial fibrillaction.” See this Google search.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2019-01-16 15:21:31

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: fibrillaction << fibrillation

Seems like there ought to be a whole family of these:

infiltration, permeability, and percolaction. three ways to describe the movement of water.

Select 2019 high quality Dust Filtraction products in best price

Ash And Residues From The Incineraction Of Municipal Waste

And so forth. Need a fair bit of sifting to get genuine eggcorns out of them. (Most seem likely to be non-native mistakes, accidental insertions (typos) which may be motivated by the prevalence of the sequence “a-c-t-i-o-n” but are not understood as particularly involving action, and so forth.) A surprising number of hits were on French sites. Does French use that ending more than English?
In any case, examples derived from quiescent verbs seem improbable. Surprisingly, there are quite a few for contemplaction , but they seem to be purposeful (i.e. the author is striving for an oxymoron.)

Contemplaction. 2. Exploraction. Conversaction. Holy. The practice of spiritually activated conversation. that evokes the Christ Within

Similarly, there is an Urban Dictionary entry for relaction

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2019-01-16 15:55:14)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2019-01-16 16:00:56

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: fibrillaction << fibrillation

Perhaps there is some influence of contraction in fibrillaction.
Tocayo, I’m not aware of any inordinate action in French words. Fibrillation did bring to mind another potential French connection, though. How about atrial febrilation? Fevered heart action. Several hits in French, where fébrile is more common than in English, though I did find a uniquecorn in English, from William Howard Taft. (I won’t count the quizlet hit). Apologies for the two poteaux roses.

Memorandum sent by William Howard Taft to members of his family, June 8, 1924 (Taft Papers) (Reel 265) (“The trouble with me is febrilation of the auricle.”).
Taft papers

AF
atrial febrilation
quizlet

J’ai fait lors d’une marche un épidode de fébrilation auriculaire de plusieurs heures (je n’avais aucun antécédent cardiaque auparavant), ... J’ai refait une semaine plus tard un épisode de plusieurs heures de fébrilation auriculaire, je suis très inquiète, est-ce grave ?
doctissimo

toutes perssonne a le droit de ce servir du dsa (defebrilateur) ... ces mieux d avoir le sst ou afps car le defebrilateur vas vous demander a proceder au massage cardiaque et lui interviendras lorsque le coeur rentreras en febrilation
cycling forum

Note: I tried to find a connection to feeble, à la feeble position, sans joie.

Last edited by David Bird (2019-01-16 16:02:11)

Board footer