Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-03-21 08:53:46

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

pry on your mind (< prey on …)

Recorded this spoken back in 1996

Don’t let the guilt of past sins pry on your mind

Plenty of hits on the Inet:

Ever have something pry on your mind and just bug you over a long period of time? It feels real good when you finally take care of it.

If you feel there is someone to whom you owe something, today is the day to take care of that matter instead of letting it pry on your mind …

Their conversation last evening was still prying on her mind. She had slept badly and could feel herself feeling exhausted already.

Keeping to yourself will only let it fester inside, I use this word on purpose for whilst a wound can fester so can anything that pries on your mind.

The notion of a thought prying at the edges of your mind, like a screwdriver prying on a paint-can lid, fits the feeling I experience when something is preying on my mind well enough, maybe even better than the original (which ought to imply a more complete oversetting, perhaps devouring, of the mind.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer