Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-04-09 12:45:38

davidlg

"stock and trade" for "stock in trade"

I actually had this one wrong myself. It definitely seems like a reinterpretation of the meaning.

#2 2006-10-30 11:25:55

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "stock and trade" for "stock in trade"

There are certainly a lot of potential eggcorns where “in” gets substituted for “and”—or perhaps even the other way around. One that I came across today is “ball in socket” joint (Ghits = 12,800) in place of “ball and socket” joint (Ghits = 547,000). In this case (and many others) the “in” aspect of the term is consistent with the imagery: The ball literally resides in the socket.

I suspect that the term “stock in trade” draws partly on the notion of items being “in stock.”

Last edited by jorkel (2006-10-30 16:09:09)

#3 2006-10-30 11:37:53

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Many dialects drop the ‘g’ in words ending in ‘ing’. I’ve just googled ‘stocking trade’ which has a homely, unpretentious ring to it and found…

By day I will sell hosiery and that will be my stocking trade. And I will run a mail order company selling firewood for household pets (get the catalogue). ...
www.dayorama.com/archives/001625.html – 15k –

Painting tigers is my stocking trade, but pretty girls and all that smooth skin is another thing entirely. I have invented and developed a few new skills …
www.roychaffin.com/newsnew.html – 181k

I’m a poet – words are my stocking trade. Yes they are. “Janey Jasper 0-A. I’m here to help, Senlac. I brought you back from the BOpShop. ...
www.leicestersciencefictiongroup.co.uk/ … h%2006.htm – 258k

#4 2006-10-30 11:46:28

jorkel
Eggcornista

I thought that one sounded familiar..

‘stocking trade’ for ‘stock in trade’ by klakritz Contribute! 0 2006-01-02 06:32:32 by klakritz

Last edited by jorkel (2006-10-30 11:48:12)

#5 2006-10-30 12:01:11

patschwieterman
Administrator

Ha! Jorkel beat me to it. But since I already have Ken’s post written up, I’ll go ahead and post it anyhow. I think the person who’s selling hosiery in Peter’s post is purposely punning. And I wonder about that poet, whom Ken too cited.

The amazing Ken Lakritz submitted both “stocking trade” and “stock and trade” earlier this year. Here’s his post (Jan 2, 2006), smooshed:

Stock in trade is the inventory or resources of a business. ‘Stocking trade’ shows up 400 times. ‘Stock and trade’ is much more common, but less interesting. Examples:
I’ma poet – words are my stocking trade. Yes they are.
www.outlanders.fsnet.co.uk/tlh0603.htm
”but the brown trout is really our stocking trade and numbers for sale will be
scarce next year.”
www.farmersinfo.com.au/pages/news/octob … ews123.htm
Managing the means of payment being their stocking trade, the Caisse d’Epargne
is, through necessity, interested in the electronic purse.
www.contactless-club.com/images/res24498Paris.doc
“cat burgling is My stocking trade, “Join me kid and your fortunes made.
www.abctales.com/node/515218
Irreverence is Las Vegas’s stock and trade.
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/ … 4?v=glance
Liars by Brian Dunaway…
When one considers that this is the stock and trade of politicians, one would think they would at least put forth a little effort.
www.lewrockwell.com/dunaway/dunaway16.html
Description is the stock and trade of the professional writer.
web.uvic.ca/akeller/ideas/about/ch10.html
These nine outlets occupy land evaluated at over $315000 and pay property taxes of over $10000 not including “stock and trade, machinery and equipment”
www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/history/b … ouncil.htm

#6 2006-10-30 12:02:10

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Thanks jorkel – I keep forgetting to check, in my idiot enthusiasm, and yet again I’m guilty of recycling. The wonder of it is that there remain any eggcorns at all after the early hunters found the grazing herds stretching to the far horizon and bagged them in their millions…

#7 2006-10-30 12:07:57

patschwieterman
Administrator

Yes, a terrible chapter in our history. Shooting defenseless eggcorns from the windows of passing trains, leaving their carcasses to molder on the open prairie. Shameful. We latterday eggcorn harvesters are a more humane lot.

#8 2010-07-07 06:00:35

john-stock
Banned

Stock and trade in penny stocks as they are best stocks in trade

#9 2010-07-07 08:00:00

David Bird
Eggcornista

A classic exchange, thanks for bringing this up again, john-stock. An alternative pretty well describes the quest for both stocks and eggcorns—stalk and trade. There seems to be an oort cloud/fuzzy zone around stalk, stuck, stock, stark, stork, stook, stake, steak, stack and stick.

Edit: Come to think of it, in the case of penny stocks, that should be stoke and trade, shouldn’t it. Add stoke to the cloud, though not in this form – loads of “stoke in trade”, which looks like what-we-call-for-lack-of-a-better-name a pail.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-07-07 08:20:55)

Board footer