Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-06-09 01:55:19

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

My sole mate

Unless I’m mistaken, which should be the start of all posts of mine, this hasn’t been properly explored.

My brother-in-law has just been described as ‘my sole mate’ by his wife on facebook. In her case, and in amongst the numerous deliberate puns (there’s a shoe shop called Sole mates), it’s hard to separate mere bad spelling of ‘soul’ with no recasting of its meaning from a fairly straightforward eggcorn: a mate for life. But it’s safe to assume that a large number of people may think that the latter is the expression and that ‘one mate’ is its meaning.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2019-06-12 09:14:08

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: My sole mate

There is a relevant post here , but you’re right that sole mate deserves its own entry. I’m with you in suspecting strongly that it may be eggcornish for anybody who spells well enough to differentiate and always spells the phrase that way.

Happy 48th Anniversary and you will always be my sole mate.

I guess after 48 years the chances are pretty good. (My sole soul mate and I just passed 49.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2019-06-12 11:36:26

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Congratulations DT, and many more to come we hope.

Spelling/hearing/seeing may be a kind of blurry soup for many of us, and in this instance a d for t in pronunciation can yield an image of selfless care for one’s innermost essence:

I finished school , studied industrial engineering in University in Kaunas, Lithuania and met my husband who is my soul maid and best friend.

I am not just losing you, but I lost my best friend, my big rock and my soul maid for life.

For some, though, even this devotion is not enough:

No, I said said she was my soul maid. And I am not hiring her back. I am very happy with her replacement

#4 2020-02-28 10:00:15

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Soul maid gets it in several ways, Peter, including the irony of “maid” describing a married person.
An exceptionally clear example of soul<sole :

I found her to be a doting mother whose soul-mission was to seek out a future for her daughters.

The hyphen confirms to me that this is clearly meaning “the mission of her soul”, a soul-felt mission, or something like that. At least, I can’t construe “sole-mission” as the meaning. Can any of you?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer