Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-30 11:29:28

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

take it as red (read)

”..take it as read that..” 35,200 ghits
”..take it as red that…” 68 ghits

Taking it as ‘red’ rather than ‘read’ retains the sense of the original and perhaps even improves on it – there’s not much as self-evident as the colour red. Yes, it could be a typo but if so there should be roughly the same number of ‘rads’ as reds and there are none.

It’s mostly addressed by chemists and physicists I believe; most biologists take it as red that life exists. There were some widely discredited experiments …
dustinthelight.timshelarts.com/rays/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=2206 – 31k

So, you can take it as red that, the Earth’s axis really doesn’t change the direction it’s pointed while the Earth orbits the Sun. ...
www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2089 – 82k

I always take it as red that I cannot photograph inside NT properties, and so was pleasantly surprised when I was allowed to snap freely in Chatsworth (Not …
www.flickr.com/groups/nationaltrust/dis … 119857747/ – 54k

#2 2006-10-30 11:43:24

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: take it as red (read)

You might have undercut yourself a bit, Peter. Many more legitimate sightings if you just drop “that” from your Google search…

50,900 “take it as read”
59,500 “take it as red”

#3 2006-10-30 12:23:32

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: take it as red (read)

Wow—looks like the reanalysis is supplanting the original. Lots of the “red” citations are obviously jokes—it’s used in reference to soccer/football teams that have red as the team color, or about (communist) China. But 59k hits is an awful lot.

Board footer