Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-09-24 20:18:58

jorkel
Eggcornista

Visualize WHIRLED PEAS.

“Visualize WHIRLED PEAS” in lieu of “Visualize world peace” is probably not an eggcorn, but something akin to a mondegreen (misheard song lyrics). For in the current instance someone hears a phrase incorrectly, and must surely do a double take because the mistaken imagery couldn’t possibly make contextual sense. And yet, the mistaken words make more sense (in a silly way) than the intentional mixups common with malapropisms.

I mention the current example because it is the manifestation of a highly unlikely probability: two adjacent words (world, peace) whose homophones (whirled, peas) still make literal sense in juxtaposition. I would be interested in seeing other examples where not just one word, but two (or more) are altered to create a new phrase which makes sense. Does anyone know of any such examples?

Last edited by jorkel (2006-11-01 03:16:38)

#2 2006-09-25 19:46:09

fishbait1
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Visualize WHIRLED PEAS.

Well, I promise to think about this. In the meantime, I can’t resist recalling a particularly pompous rabbi of my childhood. Week after week he would say (reading from the Union Prayerbook):

“Grant us peas, thy most precious gift, O Lord. . . ”

Happy 5767, everyone.

#3 2006-11-01 03:14:13

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Visualize WHIRLED PEAS.

The transformation of “crap shoot” to “crap chute” comes close to replacing two adjacent words with their homophones. Clearly we don’t have a pair of homophones with “crap,” but the meaning of that word has indeed changed from the former to the latter.

Another poster mentions the double-eggcorn transformation of “whet your palate” to “wet your palette.” Perhaps this would suffice.

Last edited by jorkel (2006-11-01 08:28:00)

Board footer