Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-01 09:30:51

jorkel
Eggcornista

Under A REST (arrest) -- an eggcorn from childhood

Sorry if this is the corniest eggcorn that you will ever be asked to consider…

When children first hear the phrase “you are under arrest”—perhaps on a TV crime show—some may associate the phrase with the criminal being given “a rest” from his activities. (Gag! I barely got that out!) Whence, the source of an eggcorn: “under a rest.” I might add, however, that I recall at least one child constructing an (intentional) pun around this phrase, but I am not fully convinced that any child (or adult) truly believes the imagery I suggest.

Nevertheless, if “under a rest” is not an eggcorn, would someone please explain these examples ostensibly presented by adults... Could it simply be eye dialect?...

Synopsis‘You sir,’ said an indeterminate voice, ‘are under a rest for the most very serious and very naughty theft of one earring. Any thing you say may be taken …
www.aphelion-webzine.com/serials/2004/0 … eaths3.htm – 331k – Cached – Similar pages

Official eMule-Board > How Much “illegal” Is P2p In Germany? – [ Translate this page ]... use these programs to download somthing from time to time or I could expect that some day Police will knock on my door and say : “You are under a rest ! ...
forum.emule-project.net/lofiversion/index.php/t51952.html – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

Radar detector jammer forum: View topic – Hand cuffed and car …because you had been placed under a rest, the 5th amendment applied to you and he failed to tell you you had the right to remain silent. because of this, ...

Board footer