Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-01 10:25:30

jorkel
Eggcornista

A SURE WIN? (A shoo-in)

Google counts on Nov. 1, 2006
347,000 “A shoo-in”
57,700 “A sure win”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

(First, please note that the Eggcorn Database includes an evaluation of “shoe in” as an eggcorn of “shoo-in,” so there is no need to revisit this aspect here).

A “shoo-in” is “one that is a certain and easy winner.” Now, one may reasonably well define “sure win” as “a firmly established win.” So, the two terms would appear almost interchangeable, but I contend that “sure win” is an eggcorn of “shoo-in.” My impression is that when one hears the term “shoo-in” for the first time—in it’s usual context—one is quite likely to assume the words “sure win.” What is distracting here is the fact that “sure win” could also be arrived at independently of any knowledge/exposure to the term “shoo-in.” (I would sure like to hear others’ opinion about this).

Examples

Gungrave: Overdose for PS2 video game review and cheatsAll in all, this is a sure win, because Gungrave’s weaknesses are balanced excellently with an incredibly low cost. 0, Readers say. 0, Readers say …
www.gamezilla.com/review.aspx?review=8927 – 45k – Cached – Similar pages

Imperium Galactica II – Alliances Review – PCThis is a sure win and is destined to be a hit for a long time. ... This is a sure win and is destined to be a hit for a long time. Overall Score: 9.2 …
pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r13319.htm – 29k – Cached – Similar pages

Here are a few where both terms are used…

» 2006 » SeptemberGeorge Allen as a shoo-in for Virginia’s Senate seat, but the latest … Looks like the Florida seat is a sure win for Tim Mahoney now as another hypocrite …
www.becomethemedia.com/?m=200609 – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

Reality TV Magazine: Gregg Carey Voted Off Survivor Palau… whinger and she’ll be the one everyone’ll wanna take into the final for a sure win. ... Either Tom or Ian would be a shoo-in going against Karen. ...
www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2005/05/ … y_vot.html – 70k – Cached – Similar pages

Jack Martins’ Oscar Roundup 2005 | Heck’s KitchenDespite Foxx’s sure win, I’ll give a shout out to each nominee, even if only in a vain … She’s a shoo-in for the “Who’s that foreign hottie?” award. ...
www.jennymiller.com/jack_2005.html – 24k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer