Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2020-06-21 20:17:52

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

talk sissity

BBC World Service – Would you intervene in an abusive relationship … www.facebook.com › bbcworldservice › videos › would-... I was in a relationship talk sick relationship My face was there’s swelling because he didn’t is so hard that broke my my lips inside I didn’t say anything

for example if it has been a really talk sick relationship so that’s really helpful to me to make that distinction Yeah compassion changes our actions

it’s amazing talk sick environment situation can do to us mentally and physically

Talk-Sick Work Environments Harm Business Health:

Not a lot of them, and some may well be conscious puns (the last example smells that way to me) but they seem to be out there and some look sincere.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2020-06-22 04:50:40)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2020-06-23 15:03:45

kem
Eggcornista

Re: talk sissity

A class-sick film is a movie that no one in the Film Crit course enjoys. Foren-sick evidence is gruesome. An anal-G-sick is for pain. Jura-sick park, nuf’ said.

Please stop me before I do it again.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2020-07-24 01:59:58

patschwieterman
Administrator

Instead of chasing down eggcorns, I currently spend much of my time in front of the computer, reading news stories with rising alarm. But I occasionally find the old eggcornical instincts triggered by those machine transcriptions that go along with reporters’ monologues in TV news. (What, precisely, is the point of offering a visual accompaniment to a written news article if you’re just going to cover the visuals in strips of transcription?) Sometimes the transcriptions are mindlessly poetic, and I think “talk sick” is a good example of the type. I looked for the source of the first two examples above, and they both appear to be transcriptions of interviews. If there’s some large repository of interview transcriptions out there somewhere, it might point to interesting possibilities.

#4 2020-07-24 08:51:40

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Hey, Pat, it’s a pleasure to hear from you! (News stories are bad for your health, unless there is eggcornical or similar pleasure attached to them. Mindless poetry fills the bill, or fulfits the requirement.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2020-07-24 08:52:01)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2020-07-30 14:10:27

kem
Eggcornista

Yes, Pat. Great to hear from you again. The gang at the Egg and Corn has missed you. (The metaphorical gang, I mean. Pubbing may not be the best analogy in the current COVID crisis.)

My wife and I watch almost all movies with the subtitles turned on. Our audial acuity is not what it was. Some of these subtitles, we notice, are generated by speech-to-text software. The result: some very funny transcriptions. They are no more eggcorns than cupertinos are eggcorns, since there is no evidence of the alterations being taken into common speech, but they could become a trigger for altered usage if people read the subtitles and don’t catch the error.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#6 2020-12-27 23:01:46

patschwieterman
Administrator

Belated greetings to both of you, Kem and David! It’s great to see that the Forum is still hard at work. Merry holidays, everybody!

Board footer