Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-09 17:48:36

gib

Have we had 'i was on a role' for 'i was on a roll'?

or am i doing that thing where it actually is ‘on a role’ and i have being using ‘on a roll’ like some kind of numpty all these years?

#2 2007-07-09 19:17:08

Day Vid

Re: Have we had 'i was on a role' for 'i was on a roll'?

It is definitely “on a roll”, and I have often seen “role” substituted in the role of “roll”, if you’ll pardon the expression.

“On a roll” implies having forward momentum, like a stone rolling downhill. An object in motion tends to remain in motion, and etc.

Having just made the mistake of submitting a simple misspelling myself, however, I wonder if there is reason to think that utterers of “on a role” actually think it means “playing a part”, or if they just can’t spell “roll”?

#3 2007-07-10 00:09:19

huevomaiztro

Day Vid wrote:

I wonder … if they just can’t spell “roll”?

I have learned never to underestimate the ability of writers to misspell simple words and to misunderstand simple sayings.

One person who enjoyed Eats, Shoots & Leaves so much that she bought me a copy later insisted that I change is supposed to back to “the way it should be”: is suppose to.

Oh, well.

#4 2007-07-10 09:24:06

gib

i received ‘on a role’ seconds before starting this the post you see, which is why i quickly threw it up here. I was chatting to a m8 on msn who, as soon as he said it, questioned if it was correct. His spelling is usually spot on.

#5 2012-10-09 11:03:51

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Here’s the example I stumbled upon just last night:

Cooper was on a role. (from http://www.gay.net/vintage-hunk/2011/10 … ary-cooper )

Though it was in the context of an overview of Gary Cooper’s acting roles, it didn’t seem like an intentional pun to me. If it was one, it was a clumsy one in context. Eggcorn or mere misspelling? You be the judge.

#6 2012-10-10 06:41:24

burred
Eggcornista

Some kind of numpty? Age numpteen?

A variant: on a row. It appears to refer to being on a winning streak. So maybe it’s a blend with “in a row”.

Diet forum I was on a row too until Easter. I splurged too much! Dang.

Gamer youtube some good ole play on MKG and its funny cause i was on a row lol fatalities all day lol.

Gamer GOD DAMN I was on a ROW!! ON FIRE!!! I won almost every single of my side bets except the $1 ones

Blog From Labour Day till monday I was so into updating, i was on a row! wahaha! THEN I GOT LAZY AGAIN, heh.

#7 2012-10-10 15:19:00

David Bird
Eggcornista

I got a start when I noticed that this thread has over 10,000 hits (10063 at the moment). It’s one of only a dozen or so that exceed 5000. Some are the eggcorn classics like ease dropping at 13327 today, but others, like this one, must reflect people looking for advice on correct usage. It would be fun to do an eggcornology post on the posts that attract the most interest.

#8 2013-01-03 16:52:45

larrybob
Eggcornista

more row << roll: “honor row” and “row call” may be related to the typical arrangement of desks in rows in classrooms or legislative chambers.

mom forum: “I am a very proud momma my boys made the honor row and got an award for not being absent this whole year ”

eBay profile: “He graduated with an associates degree on the Dean’s Honor Row. ”

The Destruction of LULAC “Elia never mounted a challenge for a vote by row call or a vote by council.”

discussion of roll call/row call:

In some cases the row may become literal:
News article: “The proposals that will begin this academic year include eliminating the honor row at commencement. That row was set aside especially for graduating students with a 3.5 grade point average or above.”

#9 2013-01-03 23:15:36

kem
Eggcornista

“Honor row” has strong eggcornish claims.

BTW, larrybob, many of us who hang around here have posted something slightly autobiographical at this thread: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=1735 If the mood takes you, feel free to contribute.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#10 2013-01-17 19:25:31

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

One of my favorites is (uttered in a very discouraged voice) “it’s a hard roll to hold”. (Since it was spoken, it may well have been “role”.) Proper answer? “Yes, it’s been a downhill battle all day!”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#11 2020-09-14 08:51:03

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I keep running across roll model .

The majority are great teachers who are truly honorable, and great roll models that I look up to

I would like to see her be a roll model for young girls, and teach them about the Constitution and there rights, and teach them life isn’t about .

His Roll model is SachinTendulkar. He love’s him lot . He wants to become like a Sachin .

A lot of Inet hits are purposeful puns, e.g.

Be a “Roll” Model for Safe Behavior. Everyone — adult and child — should wear a bicycle helmet each time they ride.

but most are probably not. Just a misspelling? Likely, in many cases. Still, there could be eggcornish motivation that applies to many contexts: a roll model shows you how to roll (through life, with the punches, etc.)

#12 2021-05-22 15:12:19

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

You can decide how you want to judge your roll in life. Knowing that you create much of your life experiences by your choice of labels, can help you learn

Enjoy your roll in life, have fun and please be careful.

Soon he found that farming was not to be his roll in life, and he left his father’s farm to study Greek and Latin

Alan took his roll in life seriously: son, brother, husband, father, friend, employee and neighbor.

And plenty more. Some hits seem to be puns (referring to e.g. rolling smokes of various sorts or rolling in the hay) but many are probably not purposefully referring to both meanings at once. Your roll in life could easily be the way or direction in which you roll, which would be a pretty good eggcorn. Of course and as in the other cases discussed above, the meaning shift is only signalled by the spelling, and in many if not most cases may well be more a misspelling than a mis-taking.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-05-22 15:45:22)

Board footer