Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-31 11:40:19

jorkel
Eggcornista

ASHphalt (asphalt)

Google counts on Oct. 31, 2006
1,940,000 asphalt
97,400 ashphalt—eggcorn
Analysis by Joe Krozel

Asphalt is burnt in appearance, and may conjure up the notion of ash. Whence, ashphalt.

Examples where ashphalt appears more than once in the same document:

Metroblogging Los Angeles: Kiss My Ashphalt I’m staying right here, because I’m only going a few mph slower than you on this nice, smooth ashphalt. 2630.jpg Now, if you can just wait thirty seconds, ...
blogging.la/archives/2006/01/kiss_my_ashphalt.phtml – 55k – Cached – Similar pages

Ashphalt roadsHome Asphalt roads Prairie Grass · Ballasting · Ground throws · Track Bumpers · Easy Trees. Asphalt Roads. by Dan Crowley. Many techniques have been used to …
www3.telus.net/public/crowley/ashphalt_roads.htm – 13k – Cached – Similar pages

Newly paved driveway – How long before I can park on it? ashphalt. The city uses that around here- they mix hot oil/tar and gravel and … oil and true ashphalt and it is significantly softer than ashphalt. Takes …
www.diy4free.info/misc/driveways/thread34.html – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

Concrete Driveway…Worth the Price? – The Forums at Oldhouseweb.comI have an ashphalt driveway – well, there are bits and pieces of ashphalt out there in the … I’ll get around to fixing it with new ashphalt eventually, ...
www.oldhouseweb.com/newBB/topic-10052.shtml – 40k – Cached – Similar pages

Welcome to Capela’s Roofing!What is the difference between fibreglass and ashphalt shingles? The difference between a fibreglass and an ashphalt shingle is the type of mat that is used …
www.capelasroofing.com/faq.html – 12k – Cached – Similar pages

A Fisherman of the Air: April 2005The smell of fresh ashphalt was drifting out so I stopped for a minute to see what … One guy was directing ashphalt into the 4X4 foot space thay had made, ...
airweb.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_airweb_archive.html – 64k – Cached – Similar pages

Roads to RecoveryPavement failing and ashphalt seal is in a state of failure. ... Proposal including side drains for ashphalt pavement reconstruction with 50mm A C overlay. ...
dynamic.dotars.gov.au/land/r2r/projects.cfm?LGA_ID=1084 – 20k – Cached – Similar pages

Professional Roofers, Roofing Contractors, Need a new Roof …I am looking for the best ashphalt shingle for re-roofing and new construction. i have used many brands but i find certainteed to be the best fiberglass …
www.roofing.com/about1686.html – 31k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-11-02 11:14:25

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: ASHphalt (asphalt)

Jorkel, I find myself wondering how the word ‘asphalt’ is pronounced in the States; I don’t know anyone who doesn’t pronounce it “ash-felt” and ‘ashfelt’ yields 5,110 ghits, most of the relevant ones UK/NZ as far as I can see.
(I was not surprised to find a band called Ashfelt as almost every search reveals one, which invariably has numerous references and, unfairly I suppose, I begin to loathe them as I examine page after page in search of the elusive eggcorn. I think I may start saving them.)

#3 2006-11-02 11:51:58

jorkel
Eggcornista

Peter Forster asks:

Jorkel, I find myself wondering how the word ‘asphalt’ is pronounced in the States; I don’t know anyone who doesn’t pronounce it “ash-felt” and ‘ashfelt’ yields 5,110 ghits, most of the relevant ones UK/NZ as far as I can see.

My reply:
Peter, thanks for mentioning that. I wasn’t aware that the United Kingdom and New Zealand mainly pronounced “asphalt” like “ash-felt.” I’m not a linguist—and I don’t know the convention/symbols used for conveying sounds in written form—so I hope the equivalent words I provide don’t have multiple pronunciations. Growing up in Chicago, I have always heard “asphalt” pronounced like “ass-fault.” (Someone else may have to comment on whether there are regional dialects within the U.S. which would lean toward the pronunciation “ash-fault.”)

By the way, Peter, I have to agree with you about all the intentional alteration of words on the internet and by the popular media. Not only does it becloud our search for eggcorns (and inflate our Google counts), but it’s also serving as a primary source for misconveying language. For instance, I once knew a girl who thought “chaos” was spelled “k-a-o-s” because that is the way it was spelled on the TV series “Get Smart.” More generally, if one person constructs a pun, and a second person takes it as literally valid, do we call it an eggcorn when the second person reuses it? Probably not.

#4 2006-11-03 17:03:02

fpberger
Eggcornista

I actually heard someone who grew up in Michigan use the “ash-fault” pronunciation today. I haven’t asked him yet how he spells it.

Board footer