Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2020-11-24 02:26:29

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"roast history" << rotisserie

I encountered this online:

Aye do them roast history chickens at walmart be good??? [and then in response to a request for clarification] roast history chickens the ones that be in the deli
discussion thread

Almost all the examples yielded by googling were references to the example I gave above. The few possible exceptions include:

Roast History Chicken is THE BEST. looked like you enjoyed it.
tweet

...and these last two, both from this discussion :

Anyone ever get those roast-history chickens for only a couple bucks at Walmart or Costco?

I worked in a grocery mart and was tasked with putting the birds into the roast-history machine. It kind of turned me off of buying them, because the machine was very dirty, and I wouldn’t clean it properly.

Apart from finding very few examples, I think this could qualify as an eggcorn, as those roasted chickens at the store clearly have a (hopefully recent) “roast history”.

#2 2020-12-01 12:07:51

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "roast history" << rotisserie

These might be intentional misconstruals. But funny ones!

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2021-02-20 09:50:00

Eoin

Re: "roast history" << rotisserie

I thought of the cooking on a turned spit distinction being the way people in history books cooked, so roast history chicken would make sense,

Board footer