Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-03-05 13:35:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'stinkler' for 'stickler'

If you should hear it rather than see it, the ickler could sting rather than stink, but either way there seems an unwittingly eggcornish interpretation of those who are sticklers for accuracy and observance of rules.

He is very nice and is not a stinkler for commas, but he will correct them. I recommend this teacher.

You seem to stinkler for details….which is cool…. yes it was filled by a paralegal and section 10 was adquately filled…..

If you are a sport enthusiast and stinkler for quality products, this shop is right place for you.

Usually i am a stinkler for not giving good ratings, for the price, I don’t think you can go wrong. -excellent location, easy walk to the beach with lots of …

Yeah, I’m a real stinkler for parking my car in the backyard at all times.

#2 2022-03-11 03:27:08

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'stinkler' for 'stickler'

Peter Forster wrote:

If you should hear it rather than see it, the ickler could sting rather than stink, but either way there seems an unwittingly eggcornish interpretation of those who are sticklers for accuracy and observance of rules.

Are you saying people pronounce it stingler ([‘st??lr?] or [‘st??glr?])? (The first is hard for me to pronounce because the [?l] transition is not normal; the second would be like “wrangler” or “strangler”.) Either contrasts fairly clearly, in my speech, with inkler . Tingle/mingle/jingle, or sprinkle/wrinkle/tinkle; what would it mean to stinkle? The -le suffix is a funny one, if it even really exists as a separate entity in people’s minds.

(Dang. I keep forgetting how this site doesn’t do special characters. The first ? in ?? is a small capital I, the IPA symbol for the i in bit; the second, and the one in [?l] is an eng(ma), a velar nasal, the last sound of rang. If there is a voiced occlusion (a hard g) at the end of it it is written eng-g, as in the second pronunciation suggested for stingler . The final ? in those two pronunciations was supposed to be a syllabic mark for the r. It’s hard to write about pronunciations without a phonetic alphabet.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-03-11 09:45:44)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2022-03-13 08:50:25

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Are you saying people pronounce it stingler ([‘st??lr?] or [‘st??glr?])?

No, only that the ear might extract sting but the eye, mine anyway, notices only the stink. Similarly, my eye sees only sprinkle in sprinkler, but my ear may notice the spring.

I regret that my casual flippancy seems to have given you so much trouble but, as I have difficulty enough in interpreting much of what goes on here, I cannot share your regret at the absence of special symbols. For too many years IPA has meant only India Pale Ale and my enthusiasm and comprehension are both quickly crushed within a few pages of a foray, machete swinging desperately, into the dark jungle of the International Phonetic Alphabet.

#4 2022-03-14 09:51:25

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

OK, I think I get it. You were saying that being a stickler can sting and can stink, and that either way, if you call someone a stinkler using the one expected pronunciation, you might have something reasonable in mind. Fair enough. (Sorry for being stinkly about phonetics; I was failing to understand and trying to express my failure to understand, and failing at that too, I guess.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-03-14 21:43:34)

#5 2022-04-08 11:25:30

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

The mighty digit of your friend Tommy Hillfinger is relevant here, too, Peter.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-04-08 11:27:02)

Board footer