Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-06-10 20:31:23

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

wind out of sales

Peter F has been sending me some very entertaining and intriguing quotes. Here’s one:

That third goal has taken the stuffing out of Spennymoor’s sails. (Iain Dunn, Radio York)

It reminded me that I have seen instances of taking the wind out of somebody’s sales, as well. It is hard to separate honest examples of this from purposeful jokes/puns, and simple misspelling of the word while still thinking of sails is another likely scenario, but I think there may be some out there who really think it’s sales that are going to lose impetus when the wind is taken out of them.

talk about taking the wind out of your sales as a new programmer.

Nothing takes the wind out of your sales as much as a physical injury. We are all prone to accidents on the field and

I think it was important for us to get off to a good start, getting a couple early goals took the wind out of their sales a little bit and …

(Surely purposeful:)

[Title] Take the wind out of your sales ¶ By Philip Collard, Philip Collard20 January 2000 ¶
Like it or not, every construction service a client buys must be sold. This means that construction professionals need effective selling skills – so, here’s how to do it.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-06-10 20:40:54)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2022-06-12 05:36:24

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: wind out of sales

. . . but I think there may be some out there who really think it’s sales that are going to lose impetus when the wind is taken out of them.

While it may be difficult to believe that anyone can disentangle sails from the wind and substitute ‘sales’ it is perhaps too easy to assume that apparently self-evident matters are generally known.
Some years ago I mentioned coal to a group of young people and only one of them had heard of it. When I told them it was a black rock that could be ignited they were sceptical and thought I was joking. A week later I I saw them again and gave each a piece of coal. Their curiosity aroused, they tried to set it ablaze with their cigarette lighters and when they failed they good-humouredly concluded that I’d conned them again.

Board footer