Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-06-24 12:30:37

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

encourageable < incorrigible

My sister just reported to me about a member of the Kennedy family

calling her new beau “Rhett Butler,” referring to the encourageable womanizing lead in Gone With the Wind .

Yes, an incorrigible womanizer would be one who doesn’t need much encouragement at all.
A dandy eggcorn, to my mind. Plenty of other exx:

Some of the people are just encourageable. Listen, if I’m going to hear a racial statements to one of my employees, especially Mr. Jackson, ...

I was enjoying a good look at the boat engine with the skipper; he was happy to discuss it’s long history; I’m just encourageable.

[re Alcatraz] Toddled as impenetrable, it is home to the toughest and most encourageable criminals of it’s time. The Rock is designed to be the final stop for the worst … [toddled? really?]

Suppose that I am an encourageable criminal. Harden, hateful and hopeless Standing guilty before a judge.

Ah, yes, it’s already in the database

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-06-24 12:41:46)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2022-06-24 14:53:34

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: encourageable < incorrigible

A dandy eggcorn, to my mind.

This happens to me on a weekly basis and then I often find not only has it already been mentioned but I was the one who first mentioned it.

#3 2022-06-24 18:37:40

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I resemble that remark very strongly.
Any guesses on “toddled”, Peter? Talked up as? peddled as? Is totalling as in summing up in the mix somehow? Or what? (Touted has just occurred to me as perhaps the most likely ingredient.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-06-24 18:54:58)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2022-06-25 05:10:54

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

“Impenetrable” seems to cover it I fear. The Rock has been that way since it was a toddler? Toddle/treadle – was there a treadmill there I wonder?

Hold on, there must have been solitary confinement and we have that fine expression drawn from Cockney rhyming slang, on your tod/on your Tod Sloan/on your own. The song The Yankee Doodle Boy was based on the rags-to-riches life of Tod Sloan 1874-1933, making him the original Yankee Doodle dandy.

Dandy again! Sorry, I seem to be drifting off-topic so back to my first sentence.

Board footer