Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-07-02 04:50:58

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'coronic' for 'chronic'

‘Chronic’ is derived from the Greek khronos ‘time’ and is usually used to mean long-lasting, intractable. Coronic, masquerading as an adjective, comes from the Latin ‘corona’, meaning crown. Around 1968 a researcher spotted the the first of our flourishing family of viruses under an electron microscope and named it corona after its halo of bristly spikes thereby delivering a delayed death blow to several beer, pop (soda), coffee and cigar companies.

Much usage is pre-pandemic so the association must be something other than CV-19 induced? Once that crown is on your head it is permanent, barring abdication of course.
(Too many miles away is a cheery little bar called Y Coron, or Y Goron, ‘The Crown’. I wish I lived within walking distance. There is a chronic shortage of public houses in my locality.)

Mostly Common Disease basically is a coronic condition due to abnormal high level of sugar in the blood.

... capacity: accelerated healing from numerous forms of coronic disease,strengthened immunity, prevention of premature aging and increased longevity.

Treatment of every type of illness.like sugar,blood pressure,coronic disease like asthma,T B, weakness of harmons, all type of stones like kedney stone, ...

— no one can diagnois my condition, I have coronic pain through out my whole body there is a lot of other symptoms also head aches that are …

... For example, link about the government of all coronically depressed region, which is considering whether lo invest in building a new highway.

#2 2022-07-02 07:18:22

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'coronic' for 'chronic'

Lot of new stuff for me in that post, Peter. I had not run into coronic yet, but will be on the lookout and doubtless will see it around somenoun’s head soon.
Cerveza Corona is still alive and well in Mexico, and I just read it is the most copiously imported beer (should be copiously imitated, should it not?) in the U.S. Unfortunately, I never learned to like beer, particularly, so have not missed having an (or is it a?) Y Goron nearby. You can buy Corona in the local Gualmar (Walmart) and elsewhere.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-07-04 10:13:19)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer