Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-07 11:21:26

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'high teeth' for 'eye teeth'

Googling for ‘high teeth’ gives too many tools and sawing hits. There is an idiom “I’d give my eye teeth for…” so:
‘my eye teeth’ 23,000 ghits
‘my high teeth’ 45 ghits
How widespread the use of ‘eye teeth’ for the canines is I have no idea but they certainly have roots which are ‘higher’ and heading for the eyes. Most examples seem to be UK based.

If I were a pollster , particularly given the record of the polls in the last 15 years , I ’ d give my high teeth for it . ’ ’ ...
www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1000010 … 0&refer=uk – 58k –

I ’ d give my high teeth to be able to go somewhere to wear something like that . . . it’s beautiful Sadley I think our local supermarket may call the …
forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=45706 – 82k –

It can take a long time to learn when there’s no one there to tell you and I for one would have given my high teeth for a lecture like this when I was …
www.prescottandmackay.co.uk/courses/foo … eminar.php – 11k –

It’s not that I have never wanted one, in fact on many occasions I would have given my high teeth, or Sheila’s right arm, for one especially when there has …
www.soon.org.uk/stories/the_wheelbarrow.htm -

Board footer