Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2023-04-27 13:22:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

beatify < beautify

The Book of Common Prayer, it seems, contains the following famous passage:

… to join together this man and this woman in Holy matrimony; which is an honourable estate, instituted of God in the time of man’s innocence, signifying unto us the mystical union that is betwixt Christ and his Church; which Holy estate Christ adorned and beautified with his presence, and first miracle that he wrought.

In a few places on the Internet, the word beatify shows up in place of beautify :

which holy estate christ adorned and beatified with his presence

Beautified stikes me as somewhat redonedant following adorned , but maybe adorned meant something different back when the BCP wording was established. Beatified fits seamlessly (not to mention seemlily) into the context. I’m actually a little surprised there were not more hits. But beatify is a pretty archaic word for most people, which probably helps explain it.
Anyhow, I see it as a nice eggcorn. I wonder if it has been laid elsewhere, or if the eggcorn in the other direction (beautify < beatify) shows up.
Slightly relevant: Bless it be

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-04-27 13:23:32)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2023-05-01 10:56:41

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: beatify < beautify

A holy estate adorned and beautified by his presence? At first blush I would not believe that those could be the words or the sentiment. It was surely an eggcorn for beatified in the first instance. Amazing.

#3 2023-05-01 21:24:23

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: beatify < beautify

It surprised me too! I ran across beautified , thought it strange, and went to check. Lo and behold, lots of sites had it that way, and only 3 or 4 had beatified . Do you have any sources more reliable over there, across the blessed and gorgeous pond, that have beatified ?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer