Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-09-21 06:40:57

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

determent < detriment

[online dictionary example sentence] I credit the guys for trying but it can be to the determent of the team at times.

[example in English lesson] inefficiency of scale in the farming sector is being ignored to the determent of farming

However, as minors have the right to equal protection, the principle of economy can not prohibit off label use to the determent of minors. [discussion of government pub]

The Ministers expressed their concern about this offensive calculated to change the situation on the ground to the determent of the peace

I’m amazed we haven’t discussed this one, but I did not find it. It is relatively common, and seems to be used, pretty clearly as standard, in a lot of officialese. The eggcornish logic is fairly clear: what is to your detriment deters you, holds you back from or denies you a straight path towards ( detours you from) accomplishing what you would like.
This is quite certainly a reading/writing eggcorn: the two written forms are much more alike than the spoken forms. Of course anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe anyone, unless trying to read aloud, says “DET-erment” or “de-TRIM-ent”.
Don’t quite know what to think of these:

Fake plastic forevers & the detourment of digital colonialism, curated by Juan Covelli for Internet Moon Gallery, is new reiteration of his previous …

We cannot go for the detourment of government staff together with those in the president brings or the party brings. But we can call for an overhaul.

(Probably deterrance or deterral or something of that sort, not detriment, but who knows? Maybe even detoural for real?)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-09-25 03:45:11)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2022-10-11 10:40:40

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: determent < detriment

DeTREment seems a common misspelling of detriment but could also be a finger-slippy typo of determent, perhaps?

. The eggcornish logic is fairly clear: what is to your detriment deters you, holds you back from or denies you a straight path towards ( detours you from) accomplishing what you would like.

Agreed, and insolvency, literal or figurative, might be just such an impediment?

A team worth billions worried about millions to the debtrement of putting a great product on the field.

He also advised against excessive subserviance to state machinery at the debtriment of a vibrant and purposeful judicial arm of government.

I am looking for any heads up on what to expect and look for that may be debtrimental to labor and material and rental costs or anything for …

#3 2023-07-02 11:47:27

kem
Eggcornista

Re: determent < detriment

I’m also surprised that we missed determent < detriment

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer