Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2024-09-19 04:41:35

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'nigh sayers' for 'naysayers'

Aye, nigh, nay and yea are nigh obsolete in general speech, but several continue to thrive within some dialects. Oh aye. I’ve heard ‘naysayers’ pronounced as if it were ‘nigh-sighers’ and there seems ample grounds for re/mis-interpretation, probably featuring some Jeremiah clad in doomsday sandwich-boards.

Allow color change and the nigh sayers will go away lol. cant wait to see some of your other ideas!

But to all the nigh sayers I will respond with “No bullshit about, sit back and listen”.

Although I agree with all of the nigh-sayers about why the Picktons should not trade for Siakam, I will offer why maybe they should at least …

Numbers don’t lie and the nigh-sayers out number you on this forum.

Roll up them sleeves, tell the nigh-sayers to kick rocks and go build your dream…you’re the only person holding you back so TAKE THAT JUMP!

#2 2024-09-19 09:55:55

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 'nigh sayers' for 'naysayers'

Those who write it “neigh sayers” have backed the wrong horse.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2024-09-19 11:51:30

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Even if they’re in a stable relationship?

#4 Yesterday 10:57:13

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

It is hard to maintain my equinimity when you guys make such asinine dad jokes. (I like the image of the “Get-ready Man” sandwiched between his message boards: “The Nigh’ is Far Gone”—or maybe it’s “Weep for the Nigh’ is Coming”—and “The End is Nigh!”)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (Yesterday 11:42:25)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer