Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-13 09:58:28

jorkel
Eggcornista

SEED change (sea)

Google counts on Nov 13, 2006
1,200,000 “sea change”
843 “seed change”—eggcorn.
Analysis by Joe Krozel

I discussed “seat change” as an eggcorn for “sea change” here:
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=1063
But I like “seed change” even better…

“Seed change” seems to make as much sense as “sea change” to some. The use of “seed” unscores a notion of starting over (from scratch) rather than a sweeping action of the sea.

Examples:

Issues of race in Hurricane Katrina… frank discussion about race,” said Rivlin. “But it was a seed change in that a conscious effort is being made to include a more balanced perspective.” ...
www.thedepaulia.com/story.asp?artid=1905&sectid=1 – 15k – Cached – Similar pages

Scoble biting the hand that feeds? at Tom Raftery’s I.T. viewsThe debate is interesting, not because of the subject matter itself, per se, but rather because it seems to indicate that a seed change is happening in the …
www.tomrafteryit.net/scoble-biting-the-hand-that-feeds/ – 35k – Cached – Similar pages

Exclusive: Catch a Fire Helmer, Phillip Noyce – ComingSoon.netNoyce: As I said before, they’re a country where the most wanted now run the country, they’re a country that’s gone through a seed change in attitude. ...
www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17141 – 29k – Cached – Similar pages

World Development Movement | press release – PRSP critiqueThere is little evidence that the introduction of PRSPs marks a seed change in IMF policy. There appears to be no new overall parameters for IMF lending to …
www.wdm.org.uk/news/presrel/current/PRSP_critique.htm – 20k – Cached – Similar pages

Petrified Truth: A seed change in the American imaginationA seed change in the American imagination. Ground-breaking author Ray Bradbury is growing impatient waiting for America to return to space. ...
www.petrifiedtruth.com/archives/002107.html – 7k – Cached – Similar pages

[cia-drugs] The Bush-Clinton Alliance: Memoirs From A Political …The bottom line was that this operative told me that while elections were being heavily manipulated in the vote count, a seed-change would occur by or …
www.mail-archive.com/cia-drugs@yahoogro … 06002.html – 21k – Cached – Similar pages

Constitution Party News ArticlesThe IFRL PAC’s support of Stufflebeam demonstrates a seed change in Illinois politics. For the first time, a major pro-life organization is endorsing a …
www.constitutionparty.com/news.php?aid=316 – 11k – Cached – Similar pages

Shooting People: Shooter Films Interview with Franny ArmstrongIf there has been a seed change in public awareness, that is something I can be really proud of, if I did contribute. Contact Spanner Films, ...
shootingpeople.org/shooterfilms/interview.php?int_id=39 – 25k – Cached – Similar pages

daily episcopalian: Evangelicals v. global warmingI am wondering if this may be the vanguard of a seed change where the evangelivals have gone against the guy they got elected. Now if they can only see the …
blog.edow.org/weblog/2006/02/evangelicals_v_global_warming.html – 16k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-11-13 10:02:04)

#2 2008-01-10 10:34:21

wayner

Re: SEED change (sea)

I came across this one for the first time today in a blog post:

For my company, the possible adoption of CEP will mean a huge seed-change in the way that we develop applications and share information.
http://magmasystems.blogspot.com/2008/0 … d-soa.html

I’d say eggcorn, since “sea change” is a literary reference from The Tempest, and one might as well use “large change” as “seed change”.

#3 2008-01-10 17:19:26

klakritz
Eggcornista

I notices ‘seat change’ for ‘sea change’ and posted it as #643 (9/19/05) on the old eggcorn forum

#4 2008-01-10 17:49:07

kem
Eggcornista

Excellent eggcorn!

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2008-01-11 09:47:40

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

An excellent eggcorn—especially as you need a whole long explanation, including references to the Shakespeare play, to tell someone how “sea change” got to be the term we use for a sweeping, fundamental change.

A seed changes a phenomenal amount on its way to becoming a plant. It brings along that sense of growth and beginnings as well, which is usually also reflected in the instances of something undergoing a sea change.

#6 2010-07-14 22:02:38

David Bird
Eggcornista

Not every eggcornical remodelling is for the better. A see change is a rather mundane reading of a sea-change, and nowhere near as choice as seed or seat changes, or even capital C-change. It’s worth submitting nonetheless; you never know where these things will lead.

Architectural makeover in India
This historical monument has undergone a see change from the time of my last visit.I was pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the tomb.

Food consumption survey in India
Food habit experienced a see change with the process of migration.

US politics
The election in 2010 will be a see-change to the mindset of any member of Congress who may survive.

#7 2010-07-15 14:27:35

jorkel
Eggcornista

It’s interesting to see these old posts dragged up with snappy new variants. It’s also interesting that the originals never made it into the Eggcorn Database. In fact, fewer than 30 eggcorns have been added to that list of 630 since I began posting in the summer of 2006, and only one of those 30 was mine … and maybe only 10-15 from this forum. By now I’ve suggested well over 100 (and many other forum contributors have each suggested dozens as well). Just some curious math which suggests that high-level interest in eggcorns has been on the wane for several years now even while we experience wave after wave of inspiration in the forum … the most recent wave being the spate of 10 or so excellent eggcorns this past month.

Last edited by jorkel (2010-07-15 14:35:43)

Board footer