Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-14 11:37:20

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

emphatic/emphasise for empathic/empathise

Recently I came across ‘emphatic behaviour’ (76 ghits) where it was clear from the context that ‘empathic behaviour’ (360 ghits) was meant.
I wondered whether ‘empathise with’ (534,000 ghits) may have spawned, ‘emphasise with’ – it had, with 16,300 ghits.
Finally, I found that ‘empathy’ had both ‘emphaty’ (15,600 ghits) and ‘emphathy’ (16,100 ghits) variants.
As is so often the case I’m not sure whether this warrants eggcorn status as, clearly, users are substituting a familiar term for an unfamiliar term which sounds similar, but it is difficult to see what they may have envisaged…

You will need to emphasise with the people you are dealing with and show warmth and care about them. Regrettably there is still some stigma attached to …
www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/nhs-knowledge_base/data/377.html – 11k

The basis of its establishment is the client-centred psychology, introduced by Rogers , which suggests such an intuitive and emphatic behaviour that, ...
www.merenyi.hu/en/spid.html – 34k

There are many reasons a child may be disruptive in class and emphathy will … Emphathy will not put food in a hungry child’s stomach, emphathy will not …
www.teach-nology.com/forum/archive/inde … 1274.html 18k –

Emphaty is the capacity to understand what another person is experiencing from within that person’s frame of reference, the ability to place oneself in the …
www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m087 … i_11975976 – 26k

#2 2006-11-14 13:07:30

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: emphatic/emphasise for empathic/empathise

Peter! That was brilliant the way you deduced that! And, I think you have a legitimate eggcorn! All you need is to find the right phrase to embed it. This one looks promising: 451 ghits for: “emphasize with you”—eggcorn where context merits it.

I would also add to the interpretation: Empathy just might involve an emphasis of feeling for those who utter this eggcorn. So, I think it’s more than just a malapropism: It has inherent meaning.

Screened Examples:

SnipSnap :: How to use Conversation Cliffhangers to Snap-back a …It really sucks and I can emphasize with you. I’ve been there myself. It’s kind of like standing in front of a crowd in just your underwear. ...
snipsnap.org/space/How+to+use+Conversation+Cliffhangers+to+Snap-back+a+Woman%E2%80%99s+Attention – 22k – Cached – Similar pages

David Raynes: Will Code For Babies I can emphasize with you. My husband and I did ivf a few years ago. We did get lucky and got pg with twin boys. Unfortunatly our story has a tragic ended. ...
www.rayners.org/2005/01/will_code_for_b_1.php – 23k – Cached – Similar pages

Comunicado – Communicating the value of technology Vendors will emphasize with you if they can get a closer look at your operation and how they fit it. Again, when you need favors from Vendor A to take …
www.comunicado.us/blog/2006/02/communicating_w.html – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

I am currently involved with a start-up for-profit graduate and …Scott Howard’s Answer: I can emphasize with you. I faced the same dilemma four years ago after convincing IBM that we should develop non-vendor specific DW …
www.dmreview.com/article_sub.cfm?articleId=6323 – 56k – Cached – Similar pages

HaloScan.com – Comments I emphasize with you, having gone through the same process with my mom. I wish you and your mom all the best in the future and hope all works out well. ...
www.haloscan.com/comments/ladymyles/114382512018250044/ – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-11-14 13:09:27)

#3 2021-04-17 08:51:15

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: emphatic/emphasise for empathic/empathise

Just had this one reported to me again, and thought it worth bringing this thread back up.

I totally understand and emphasize

I can totally emphasize with your post. Six times in three years. Wow!

We totally emphasize with anyone who has faced adversity.

While I have never been a Hillary Clinton fan I could totally emphasize with her discomfort and displeasure of going to a medical facility for testing.

Totally emphasise with every United fan having to put up with the sarcasm of this £300,000 pw Pirlo coat-tail rider. Best of luck

As Jorkel notes, “ Empathy just might involve an emphasis of feeling for those who utter this eggcorn.” Being a sounding board, being on the same wavelength, resonating with, are all ways of augmenting and enhancing, and so in some degree emphasizing, a sound.
(Note to self: remember to search for both -ize and -ise variants for these words! Even though I totally don’t think of totally in that sense as as British as American, examples like that last one are out there (±800 vs. 1800).)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-04-29 08:50:52)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer