Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-20 11:44:12

jorkel
Eggcornista

PITCHED black (pitch)

Google counts on Nov 20, 2006
1,490,000 “pitch black”
612 “pitched black”—eggcorn
Analysis by Joe Krozel

“Pitch” is a dark, viscous, tarlike material—which serves as the referent for “pitch black.” If one is unfamiliar with pitch as a substance, then one might construe pitch as an action and think of the darkness of night as being “pitched” like a tent. Whence, the eggcorn “pitched black.”

(The only thing that concerns me here is that there is one definition for pitch “to cause to be a particular level or a particular quality.” Could this possibly excuse the otherwise eggcornish usage?)

Examples:

Sincere Words From The Gracious Hearts … Lessons To Last A …Mother Nature is really pissed-off this time on a pitched-black, starless, ... Like the North Star in a pitched-black night, Hang Boon provided support and …
www.gracioushearts.com/heroes.htm – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

HANGTIDE.COM Black Hole Soulso deep in heaven, that silences your love for me; Swallowed by my pride, I called out to the heavens; Pitched black as night, chance to be by your side, ...
www.hangtide.com/cgi-bin/hangerspoetrylink.pl – 21k – Cached – Similar pages

billpalmer.net: Macintosh users, you’ve never had it so goodIt was already pitched black outside, and I knew there wouldn’t be any lighting inside the place, so I thought I was being real smart by taking a lamp with …
billpalmer.net/com000217.html – 48k – Cached – Similar pages

Halloween Fun: Alternatives to Traditional “Trick or Treating …The living room is pitched black. You are well stocked with C batteries because under a tent made of flat sheets ran from one corner table across the room …
www.associatedcontent.com/article/75280 … ional.html – 42k – Cached – Similar pages

[PDF] Chairmans StatementFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
rest of the peninsula is pitched black. No development. No infrastructure. No. industry. No hope. No future. It is a stark reminder I like to keep for …
hsgac.senate.gov/_files/042506TACOpen.pdf – Similar pages

Dawn of War Files – Critical Location InfoThe water stained red, the skys pitched black, and the bodies numberless. This is my first map, so please dont say too too bad of things about it ; ) it is …
dawnofwar.filefront.com/file/Critical_Location;71755 – 74k – Cached – Similar pages

Discussion Forum: OBE/Astral Projection/Lucid Dreaming…. psychical body and was first confused about the environmental surrondings around me,as it was nearly pitched black …then looked at the clock near me. ...
www.ledger-dispatch.com/discussion/disp … opicID=771 – 60k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer