Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-29 14:07:22

jorkel
Eggcornista

Damning/Damaging testimony. Which came first?

Google counts on Nov. 29, 2006
43,900 “damaging testimony”
29,700 “damning testimony”
59 “damaging testimony” “damning testimony”—both in the same document

This example falls into my category of two words that are similar in sound and meaning being used interchangeably. Could one usage have originated as the eggcorn of the other? Who knows? The Google counts suggest that one is about as common as the other.

Some examples where both usages are found:

CNN.com – TranscriptsStepdaughter of Clara Harris Delivers Damaging Testimony; Explosion Rocks … But in Texas tonight, compelling, damning testimony against Clara Harris, ...
www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0301/29/cct.00.html – 71k – Cached – Similar pages

[PDF] Client: St. John’s University Station: WBBR Program: Big Picture …File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
Sullivan, ex-CFO of World Com gives very damning testimony against his boss … probably be extremely damaging testimony against Misters Lay and Skilling. ...
www.stjohns.edu/media/3/b5172bc9039d42e … e4c80a.pdf – Similar pages

All about Lemuel Smith’s murder of Donna Payant, prison officer …It was damaging testimony and the defense knew it. ... within Greenhaven’s walls, the stage was set for the most important and damning testimony of all. ...
www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/ … th/11.html – 75k – Cached – Similar pages

TIMEasia.com | Deadly Politics | 1/15/2001Damning testimony rocks Estrada’s presidency as Manila struggles to recover from a series of … But even more damaging testimony came from Clarissa Ocampo, ...
www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/2001/01 … bombs.html – 24k – Cached – Similar pages

A Woman Of Conviction… shaking her honey-blond hair and muttering in disagreement with damaging testimony. ... as their social triumphs were rendered into damning testimony. ...
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/a … 01922.html – Similar pages

Half Moon Bay Memories & El Granada Observer » Vorhes NewtonEveryone in the courtroom anticipated Lorraine Newton’s damaging testimony. ... The prosecution team also bragged that they had damning testimony even if …
www.halfmoonbaymemories.com/category/vorhes-newton/ – 93k – Cached – Similar pages

Enron: TrialWatch: Fastow vs. Petrocelli, Day 2Such potentially damaging testimony was overshadowed by the battle between … He’s likely to also splice and dice any damning testimony Fastow has given …
blogs.chron.com/enrontrialwatch/archives/2006/03/fastow_vs_petro.html – 15k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-11-29 14:34:34

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: Damning/Damaging testimony. Which came first?

Jorkel, I think you’ve mentioned these before and I have been brooding over another example where it seems an eggcorn may have overtaken the original. I was under the impression that ‘wide blue yonder’ was the original (43,500 ghits) and was surprised that ‘wild blue yonder’ (313,000 ghits, but over a million before removing Werner Herzog references) should have risen to such prominence. I wasn’t sure whether it was worth posting so I’m grateful you’ve raised the matter again – thanks!

#3 2006-11-29 15:04:27

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Damning/Damaging testimony. Which came first?

Peter: You should post “Wide/wild blue yonder” as a separate entry so that it can be easily located by others wishing to comment on it. It is a nice find, and I think it is worthy of further discussion.

Board footer