Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-29 16:13:11

jorkel
Eggcornista

It's high TIDE... (time)

Google counts were hard to find for this elusive eggcorn.

“High time” refers to dire circumstances. On the other hand, “high tide” would appear to be a favorable time to do things. Even so, it is not unexpected that the latter might be used mistakenly for the former. After all, “high tide” has a stronger imagery than “high time” does.

Examples

mmunion : ### Deal reached in university pay talks #### : Vice …Its high tide that the UNion get rid of its ties with NUS and remove any further NUS business we can do without it! suppporting a group of idiots who are …
www.mmunion.co.uk/Mobile/forums/Message … adID=24836 – 8k – Cached – Similar pages

The Pit Bull Project BlogIn the meantime, its high tide that we prepare for next year’s provincial elections. Miller, you may have won the battle for now, but don’t count on winning …
pitbullproject.blogspot.com/ – 78k – Cached – Similar pages

Vodka For Breakfast : Journal of Neil OughtonI was up in the loft last night, looking through my DJ’ing photographs and thought it was high tide that I resurrected my portfolio again. ...
www.vodkaforbreakfast.com/archives/2005/06/ – 16k – Cached – Similar pages

Sex and SexualityFinally, when you decide its high tide to have children, make sure that there you’ll have the emotional, financial and physical means needed. ...
www.sexuall.org/PrintArticle31.phtml – 7k – Cached – Similar pages

www.myspace.com/61324813do you know what i just realized? we are some pretty cool biatches! i was thinking we are a rarity and it’s high tide that we stick post-it notes all over …
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=61324813 – 122k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

www.myspace.com/sdv0c8wjrvckemdgDo you think it’s high tide that I started wearing clothes? Mary (Anna’s Bestest Friend!) 5/22/2006 8:40 PM Thanks for being a myspace friend, Laundry! ...
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=78043005 – 123k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Aziza’s Island Oasis: Thoughts And Observations: Fun and Fabulous …It’s high tide that I get back on my blog and add an entry. I know it’s been a while. I’ve been bogged down with work and simply just too tired to blog when …
abrighterday.blogspot.com/2006/09/fun-and-fabulous-friday.html – 21k – Cached – Similar pages

I’m not sure about these last two…

VIRTUOSITY archives—December 2000, week 2 (#9)”It is high tide to make known the glad tidings in these dark regions of sin and spiritual bondage.” – Samuel Marsden God’s Word: “Jesus did not let him, ...
listserv.episcopalian.org/wa.exe?A2=ind0012b&L=virtuosity&H=1&O=D&P=993 – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

The Space Arena BoardNow its high tide and efforts that didn’t work a few years or even a few months ago are likely to bear fruit. The key to this battle will be the lunar …
www.space-frontier.org/cgi-bin/BBS/MoonBase/read/12393 – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer