Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-03 10:48:23

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

cut to the chaste (chase)

cut to the chase – 1,100,000 ghits
cut to the chaste – 81 ghits

‘Cut to the chase’ in common usage means to ‘get to the point’. There are several claims for its origin but I find the notion of a 1920s film-making term the more persuasive.
The possible eggcorn in ‘cut to the chaste’ does not readily supply a compelling alternative image, unless we imagine a biblical epic being soldered onto celluloid, but even I hesitate to forward that as a serious suggestion. Perhaps, then, our putative eggcorners, in this troubled world full of sophisticated, worldly, fast-talking double-dealing torturers of even the simplest truth, see ‘cut to the chaste’ as a return, however brief, to the plain unadorned facts, the innocent essentials. On the other hand, it could be a typo.

What do you say we just cut to the chaste and stop with the intellectual pretensions… They (the Europeans) just hate Jesus Christ… ...
www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=30442 – 38k – Cached

Also very helpful in my opinion are cut to the chaste how I do it publications like Drs. Hirshberg and Mattox’s Top Knife which each of the surgeons on our …
www.jtrauma.com/pt/re/jtrauma/fulltext. … gnD5Q7m…

But let’s cut to the chaste here. The main issue with affirmative action is that it is contradictory to the affect that those proponents of affirmative …
journals.aol.com/fliptng/FLIP-TheNextGeneration/ – 47k – Cached –

With over 750 restaurants listed in our Restaurant Finder, you’ll definitely be spoiled for choice, so we’ve cut to the chaste to tell you the good, ...
www.cairodining.com/CairoDiningHPagecs. … sc&limit=0 – 30k – Supplemental Result – Cached –

So let’s cut to the chaste. Does naturalism have to account for the origin of the Bang itself in order to have enough “scope” to satisfy? ...
www.evangelicaloutpost.com/archives/001271.html – 968k – Cached -

Board footer