Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-02 22:00:12

jorkel
Eggcornista

PART for the course. (par)

Google counts on Dec. 2, 2006
1,020,000 “par for the course”
179 “part for the course”—eggcorn
Analysis by Joe Krozel

Another example of where a sports analogy is not understood. So, “par for the course” becomes “part for the course” ...as if to say “an integral part of something.”

Examples:

ISOLINUX – SYSLINUX for CD-ROMsUnfortunately, in what seems to be part for the course when dealing with contemporary BIOSes, there are still a fair number of (mostly older) systems on …
syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php – 10k – Cached – Similar pages

Expert Blogs The Principles – George Bush, Alcoholic – Part 3 on …But, as many have stated, he’s a politician, just part for the course. Also, turn the mirror on yourself. You continue to perpetrate the fiction that there …
health.yahoo.com/experts/theprinciples/138/george-bush-alcoholicpart-3 – 60k – Dec 1, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

The Eggcorn Database » Contribute!The fight scenes aren’t bad, they’re just part for the course, exactly what you’d … disasters are all part for the course for microcredit practitioners. ...
eggcorns.lascribe.net/contribute/comment-page-56/ – 44k – Cached – Similar pages

news @ nature.com – The quake and the tsunami – Michael Hopkin …”It’s a major quake but nonetheless part for the course.” If quakes are that common, are tsunamis too? Not all quakes cause tsunamis — the sea floor has to …
www.nature.com/news/2006/060717/full/060717-14.html – Similar pages

Feature Content – The Film Habit #52 – June 15, 2005The fight scenes aren’t bad, they’re just part for the course, exactly what you’d expect from any old boxing movie. There’s nothing new there. ...
www.cinemablend.com/features/The-Film-H … 5-179.html – 29k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-12-03 16:29:30

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: PART for the course. (par)

Jorkel, you’ve been Lakritzed—as I too have been many times. Ken Lakritz submitted “part for the course” back in August of 2005. I’ve smooshed his contribution to make it fit in a block quotation:

#558 Commentary by Ken Lakritz , 2005/08/13 at 5:34 am
‘part for the course’ for ‘par for the course.’ The connection of the original with golf is lost. What the eggcorn users are trying to say, I believe, is something like ‘a part of the normal course of events.’ About 400 ghits, e.g.,
The fight scenes aren’t bad, they’re just part for the course, exactly what you’d expect from any old boxing movie.
www.cinemablend.com/featu…
Social marginalisation, illiteracy, inefficient markets, conflicts or economic
disasters are all part for the course for microcredit practitioners.
www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/…
The Cantonese Stir Fried Vegetables and the Soya Braised Black Mushrooms were
part for the course, but the Lady Finger Chilli Bean was different …
www.blonnet.com/life/2002… 04/01/stories/2002040100170200.htm
Quite a bit of the material is sexist, but that’s part for the course with this
style of music.
www.progressiveworld.net/…
… it can be hard experience looking for that right opportunity — some rejection, delay and disappointment is part for the course.
www.maglioandclark.com/ca…

#3 2006-12-03 16:33:06

patschwieterman
Administrator

Jorkel—After I wrote the above post, I realized that your third example must be a fragment taken from the beginning of Ken’s post.

#4 2006-12-03 20:18:58

jorkel
Eggcornista

Pat: Thanks! I didn’t even notice that the fragment contained the word Eggcorn in it! The Google search produced so many good results, I just cut and pasted the first seven I located without a careful reading. And, I can’t say that I actually ran a local database search on this one either: I was just so fascinated that this was the second sports-related eggcorn I had located, that I just plowed right through. Oh well.

Board footer