Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-05 10:43:56

spinnich

new eggcorn? flush out instead of flesh out

During a recent curriculum revision meeting, a public school principal commented that “the plan needed to be flushed out before it could be adopted.”

#2 2007-06-08 17:43:09

sesquiotic

Re: new eggcorn? flush out instead of flesh out

I just heard this—actually saw it in a document, too—from my boss. She said she knew there was also “fleshed out” but picked “flushed out” because it made more sense to her.

#3 2007-06-08 18:06:25

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Sounds eggcornish to me – it is a different imagery.

#4 2007-06-09 23:26:17

patschwieterman
Administrator

A classic. It’s in the Database here: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/349/flush/

#5 2015-07-13 12:22:51

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

I just stumbled upon this example in a Facebook post:

One part of a five part homework assignment and I spent about 3 hours flushing it out properly… Oh boy my algebra teacher made me want to be really clear with problem solving.

I was gonna do a web search on some form of “flush out” to get a sense of how common it is, but couldn’t figure out any way to phrase it that wouldn’t yield a zillion non-eggcornish results—a haystack in which it’d be hard to find the eggcornish needles. I do encounter that problem occasionally when trying to research possible eggcorns. Oh, the life of an eggcornista is hard!

#6 2015-07-15 13:37:31

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

One technique is to look for a common phrase that calls for the desired meaning and look for that. In this case, flush out the details brings up lots of hits.
I remember running across this years ago, in a lecture by a linguist whose theory, in my view, did in fact play fast and loose with the low-level facts in order to affirm its version of the high-level generalities. “First let’s lay out the general framework, and then we can flush out the details…”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#7 2015-07-16 07:42:14

burred
Eggcornista

What is the sense of it? They’re clearly not referring to the commode. The most likely imagery, it seems to me, is of driving out small game from cover. Flushing the details, or the whole plan, out of the underbrush. Another possibility is rinsing away extraneous surface mud to better see the artefact underneath.

In this phase, we drive out the details by mapping processes, identifying key metrics and compiling requirements
http://www.tekcomms.com/sites/tekcomms. … asheet.pdf

Flush out can also mean “to make even”, smooth the ragged edges. And vegetation/youth/spring warmth at its most robust and vigorous is in its full flush. See more efforts to pin flush down in at first brush/blush.

Last edited by burred (2015-07-16 14:20:21)

Board footer